Stopover in Amsterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Amsterdam
June 1st 2007
Published: June 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bridge ViewBridge ViewBridge View

We crossed over into the Red Light District (creepy) and this was the lovely view.
Salaam aleikum! I'm writing this from a cafe in Zamalek where we ate breakfast this morning and has wireless internet. We haven't gotten more than 7 hours of sleep in three days, but Turkish coffee and adrenaline have solved that problem for the most part.

Yesterday, Rachel and I arrived in Amsterdam at 10 in the morning, and with our flight to Cairo at 20:45, we decided to buy train tickets and go into the city. The ride was 6.20 euros round trip and took 20 minutes on the smoothest train ever. We met up with her friend Jessica, who is originally from New Zealand and now working as an industrial engineer at a small firm in Amsterdam, and we had lunch at a local bar/restaurant. I had a baguette with tomatoes, bacon and mozzarella on it. Yum! Oh, and of course, a glass of Amstel!

After that, we parted ways with Jessica and made our way back into the heart of Amsterdam. We saw posters advertising the World Press Photos exhibit and decided we'd like to see it. We wandered around, stopped into numerous shops and changes (for money)and eventually we we able to locate the church
Bikes!Bikes!Bikes!

The best way to get around in Toyko is also the best way in Amsterdam.
where the pictures were on display. The pictures were moving and beautiful, as was the church, which of course appealed to my art history senses.

The funniest thing is, the church is just next to the infamous Red Light District. Outside the church is an inlaid bronze of a woman's breasts with a hand fondling one. Rachel and I did the obligatory walk through, and I for one was rather freaked out by it all. The prostitutes just standing, scantily clad, in the windows of their... stores? was weird. And simply walking past the also infamous coffee houses was enough to make anyone second-hand high.

Finally, we stopped at another cafe and had a Heineken, quite lovely, and sat to chat for a while. We were surrounded by locals, just taking in the scene. The stopover was very enjoyable and stress-free because we planned out our time well. And Amsterdam seemed to be a gorgeous city - I'd like to go back and do the tourist thing some time!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Ooooh! Groin vaults!Ooooh! Groin vaults!
Ooooh! Groin vaults!

This is the church where we saw the World Press Photos. It's right next to the Red Light District, which was a little weird.
Gratuitous Boob ShotGratuitous Boob Shot
Gratuitous Boob Shot

10 feet from the church. WEIRD.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb