Tiptoe through the Tulips!


Advertisement
Published: April 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Getting an early start is unusual for us but we made it off the site by 9.30am ready for the day ahead, the first stop was to be the Delft Pottery, finding it was easy enough we just followed the coaches, getting in proved to be a problem, two hours wait, we decided to leave it and head to our next destination



Woolly says – This was the one I had been looking forward to most, Woolly World. The drive there was horrible with cars back to back most of the way, we saw two accidents and thought we would be stuck in traffic for the rest of the day, finally we made it to the miniature world of Madurodam based in The Hague, it was opened in 1952 and has buildings both modern and old from around Holland, it was amazing. Everything Woolly sized, I found more Windmills, a rather nice manor house that I’m sure we made a good place for me. All the way round there was something different to see, I enjoyed putting the fire out on the ship and going on the other interactive games, I found some clogs that were a little too big for me! With tiny trains zooming around the village and mini people sat outside the cafes and buildings it seemed like real life was going on right under our noses, infact the only things that were real size were the toilets, café and shop. I could have happily moved in straight away.



Dragging Woolly away from Madurodam was difficult, we had to keep going back to take another picture but it was a good place to visit if a tad expensive – 15 Euro each (approximately £12.50 GBP) and 8.50 Euro for Oliver (approximately £6.50), not cheap. Piling back into Oliver we set our new friend James the Auzzie in the direction of Amsterdam, Woolly and I love James as he tells us that we’ll be there in time to light the Barbie, Ian is less impressed as he keeps going walkabout! Camping Zeeburg is on the outskirts of Amsterdam and would have been tricky to get to in Georgie, we would have needed to follow the main roads not the sat nav, it has a lot of younger people here and the smell of cannabis floats in the air around the tents, pretty clean and for 34 Euro for two nights it will suffice.



Woolly says – We got to go on a tram into Dam square (I couldn’t find the Dam there) at a cost of 2.80 Euro, and set off to have a wander round, it was rammed with people everywhere and I felt quite scared, it was difficult to get photo’s as people kept walking infront of the camera. There was a funny looking bloke dressed as an underwater creature, a man with a plant pot on his head and other equally bizarre sights to see, not to mention some beautiful buildings. We found ourselves walking down the canals with bikes cluttering the pavements and ladies with very little on sitting in doorways; although the sun was shining I thought it a little odd to be wearing your undies in the middle of the day for everyone to see. Walking past cafes we could smell that funny smell again lots of people seemed to be in these cafes, we choose to sit by the side of the canal and have a beer in the evening sunshine and watch the strange world go by. Setting off to find the tram back to the site it seemed as though another million people had arrived in the city and I found it harder and harder to see anything so being a sensible Mammoth I hid in Jo’s bag.



We made it back onto the tram with Ian clutching his KFC (Woolly had already helped me to finish my McDonalds – nothing like eating the local produce!!!), and we were majorly grateful to get away from the hordes of people. A ten minute walk from the tram stop we made it back to the site and tucked ourselves in for the night, being briefly joined by a stray duck who came in under Bertha’s side. After Ian ejected him we settled down for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



26th April 2013

Woolly seems to enjoy the Netherlands
He seems to be keeping all of your busy. We are enjoying the continued adventures.
26th April 2013

You could always borrow him!
We are having a great time but we have to keep an eye on him!!!! Glad your enjoying his travels, we can always send him to you guys so he has someome else to annoy!

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb