Background: Formerly part of Romania, Moldova was incorporated into the Soviet Union at the close of World War II. Although independent from the USSR since 1991, Russian forces have remained on Moldovan territory east of the Dniester River supporting the Slavic majority population, mostly Ukrainians and Russians, who have proclaimed a "Transnistria" republic. The poorest nation in Europe, Moldova became the first former Soviet state to elect a Communist as its president in 2001.
Blogs from Transnistria
Latest Blogs from Transnistria
- November 10th 2013 Chisinau and Orhei, Moldova
by Words: 643 Photos: 5
- July 10th 2012 Notorious Tiraspol
by Words: 683 Photos: 3
- September 12th 2011 Transnistria: the country which dosnt exist
by Words: 608 Photos: 27
- August 8th 2009 No embassy protection beyond this line.
by Words: 686 Photos: 0
- September 2nd 2008 TRANSNISTRIA'S CORRUPT BORDER GUARDS
by Words: 2759 Photos: 31
- July 25th 2007 Just passing through....
by Words: 553 Photos: 6
- June 30th 2006 Transdneistria - A Soviet Museumpiece.
by Words: 563 Photos: 7