Lithuania


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Vilnius
March 13th 2007
Published: March 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have spent the last week in Lithuania and loved every minute of it! Our first stop after leaving Riga was Siuali to see the Hill of Crosses. A cross in Lithuania apart from the obvious symbolises defiance against foreign invasion- something that Lithuania has experienced a lot of from Germanic knights in medieval times to the Soviets more recently. Apparently crosses had been put on this particular hill from around 12th Century and in 1930 there were around 400 crosses. As the hill was such a symbol of Lithuanian nationalism the Soviets removed the crosses (only to be replaced by the locals). They responded by flattening the hill three times and covered it in sewage. Amazingly people still continued to defy the authorities. The hill now has literally thousands of crosses of all sizes- on the day we visited there was a heavy fog over the area and the rosary beads that hang from the crosses chimed as the wind blew through them. It really was one of the most extraordinary sites I have ever been to- amazing to think how brave people can be.

Our next stop was completely different as we had got pretty tired of cities by now. We visited the curonian split an area on the Baltic coast near the boarder with Kallingrad (Russian territory). We stayed in a pretty town called Nida and spent our first day walking from the curonian lagoon to the Baltic Sea through sand dunes and forests! One problem with Nida was that because we had a arrived off-season the choices for eating were limited. we attempted to cook Spaghetti Bolognaise for ourselves one night but unfortunately the "minced meat" we had bought smelled and looked more like dog food- I couldn't bring myself to eat it as Lee took one mouthful and turned green. we still don't know what it was I hope I never find out!

This incident made the curry we had when we arrived in Vilnius two days ago so much sweeter! Vilnius is the best city we have visited in the Baltic's. It's Baroque architecture would look more at home in the Mediterranean, and it has the largest old town in Europe. Today is our last day we leave tonight for Poland and my feet are absolutely killing me from walking around- you just can't stop there is so much to see! Particularly impressive were all the churches and squares. In front of the cathedral there is a stone which marks the spot where a human chain which went from from Tallinn (estonia) to Vilnius ended. It was a peaceful protest against the Soviet Union and a show of solidarity between all three Baltic states. Spin around 3 times and a wish will come true apparently- I'll let you know if it does otherwise I'll probably be just one of the many stupid tourists to believe the rubbish the lonely planet spouts!

We had a little visit to the old capital of Lithuania- Trakai which is just an hour away from Vilnius. Everything was closed as it was Lithuanian independence day (again thanks lonely planet!) but the castle was pretty amazing set in an island in the middle of a lake and it was a lovely little town with brightly coloured wooden houses.

We have really enjoyed Lithuania the people are so friendly and the countryside and Vilnius rival anywhere I have been before they have had a really sad history but we have heard so many stories like the Hill of Crosses above that are so heart warming I just hope Poland lives up to it!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Spinning on the SpotSpinning on the Spot
Spinning on the Spot

This is the place in Vilnius where the human chain from Tallian stopped. You are supposed to spin three times and make a wish


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb