Background: Independent between the two World Wars, Lithuania was annexed by the USSR in 1940. On 11 March 1990, Lithuania became the first of the Soviet republics to declare its independence, but Moscow did not recognize this proclamation until September of 1991 (following the abortive coup in Moscow). The last Russian troops withdrew in 1993. Lithuania subsequently restructured its economy for integration into Western European institutions; it joined both NATO and the EU in the spring of 2004.
Photos from Druskininskai
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Druskininskai
Latest Blogs from Druskininskai
- August 31st 2012 A Day in Vilnius
by Words: 1348 Photos: 2
- August 26th 2012 The lost city of Vilnius - a story of a lucky loss!
by Words: 1429 Photos: 0
- May 13th 2012 Route Details
by Words: 64 Photos: 0
- May 13th 2012 The Captains Who Cheered Us On and Warmed Our Hearts
by Words: 220 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2012 Day 5 : Kaunas to Vilnius!!
by Words: 210 Photos: 0
- May 13th 2011 Day 6 - Kaunas to Vilnius
by Words: 812 Photos: 4
- August 9th 2008 Summer Camp
by Words: 179 Photos: 26
- August 7th 2008 First post from Supper summer Camp
by Words: 20 Photos: 6
- August 6th 2008 kALbA SuMmeR CamP
by Words: 3 Photos: 1