Our First Day-We Love it Already


Advertisement
Lithuania's flag
Europe » Lithuania » Siauliai
June 17th 2011
Published: June 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After three full days of touring Lietuva, the three of us have finally arrived at Šv. Antano Vaikų Namai (St. Anthony's Children's Home) in Pamušė, Lithuania. During our 5 hour drive through dense forests, rundown farms, and abandoned shacks, the three us were getting more and more nervous about our upcoming adventures. We had no idea what to expect as volunteers at a foreign, rural orphanage, so we expected the worst. There was actually no need to worry. We felt so welcomed and comforted by the modern day conveniences like a computer lab with internet access, our own bedroom and bathroom, an excellent cook, and candy in our bedroom.

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by Roma, the head of the orphanage, who was excited to meet the first American volunteers at Pamuse. She was pleasantly surprised by our ability to speak lithuanian and easily communicate with the children who range from 1 to 18 years old. Within minutes, children were bouncing on our laps and dragging us through the various rooms, anxious to show us around.

Almost immediately we were swarmed by kids as we played in the "sports gym". Like having new babysitters, the kids quickly took advantage of the fact that we did not know all their rules. No wonder they thought it was so fun to race around in strollers and wheelchairs...they aren't allowed to use them.
We spent the next five hours teaching them games and sharing pictures and stories of America.

As we laughed and played, it was hard to remember the rough situations and tragedies these kids have experienced. Roma explained to us that many of them come from broken families dealing with alcoholism, drugs, and abuse. This home is a safe-haven for children whose neglectful parents have lost custody of their children. It's only been one day, but these children have already inspired us. In these next two weeks, we hope to make a positive impact on their lives as well.

Daiva, Ziba, and Julija


Advertisement



18th June 2011

Bravo
Labai smagu skaityti jusu ispudzius. Kiek prieglaudoj vaiku? Kur lanko jie mokykla? Julija - ar juos mokinsi tinklini zaisti?
18th June 2011

Labas Dede Kestai! Yra apie 30 vaiku. Jie lanko keleta mokyklu Pamuses rajone. Keleta jau universitete. Jie jau zino kaip zaisti tinklini!
18th June 2011

Love it!
Well maybe awkward to comment since I only know Ziba (heyyy girl! haha), but just saw your post about your blog on facebook and this trip sounds amazing! I'm so happy that you are all blogging about the experience for people to read and for you guys to have to look back on. Best of luck to all of you & Can't wait to hear about all of your stories and the children that you will surely make an incredible impact on!
19th June 2011

Wonderful work in Lithuania!
It is wonderful to read about your experiences. I can't wait to read what you will do tomorrow. It would be interesting to find out what the children do on a daily basis normally? How many children are in this facility? How long do the children usually live in this home?

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb