Day 6: Christmas Eve travels


Advertisement
Liechtenstein's flag
Europe » Liechtenstein
December 24th 2012
Published: December 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today started off with a drive to the country of Liechtenstein. At approximately only 20 kilometers in length, it's not too much ground to cover! We started off with a visit to the castle in Vaduz, where the royal family lives, followed up by a visit to an old Catholic church.

After a very nutritious lunch at McDonalds (where Donna had a salsa bacon chicken sandwich, who knew?), we walked around a shopping district for a little while, got our Liechtenstein magnet, and headed back for Switzerland. Next stop, Appenzel.

The scenery on the drive was amazing, like nothing we've ever seen. Appenzel is the Swiss equivalent of the American Ozarks, and although we didn't see any hillbillies, the mix of houses and other buildings was unique.

Were planning to take in a few more sights, but our GPS took us on the scenic route and it was dark before we knew it. Managed to hit a grocery store that was still open in Zurich before cooking ourselves a Christmas Eve feast of chicken fajitas.

In the evening, we decided to go to a Christmas Eve service at Grossmünster, a church/cathedral in Zurich that dates back to 1090 (finished in the 14th century). Although we didn't understand too much, it was lovely to listen to the choir singing Latin and the full orchestra playing Christmas music. It was a packed house! They even had a Christmas tree at the front that they lit with real candles prior to the service. All in all, beautiful!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Bells for bullsBells for bulls
Bells for bulls

Every year, they run the cows through the streets, and the biggest ones get bells - sounds like hillbillies, right?


29th December 2012

Loving the blog and pictures!
So nice to follow along.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb