Baltic Amber - Jūrkalne


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Kurzeme Region » Ventspils
April 5th 2012
Published: April 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It's my first attempt, so be gentle and pacient, please!

Baltic Amber – Jūrkalne

Posted on April 5, 2012


Wanderer

Yes, such pieces of amber can still be found at Jūrkalne’s beaches, especially during autumn storms (well, not processed and polished, as visible here). Only then You will look to go early, when it’s dawn. In fact a piece of amber is Jūrkalne itself – a small village on the coast of Kurzemes beach not far from Ventspils. Till 1925 it was called Feliksberga / Germ. Felixberg / i.e. Mountain of Happiness. Its natural beauty and integrity for many years were watched by… Soviet border guards. It was a completely closed area, and post-war generation of children never saw the sea and the beach (only in a few specially designed and supervised places in big cities).
Therefore, the coastal forests in the early 1990 were really wild. I felt like a human leg has not been there a hundred years (the border guards had narrow paths with their own telephone lines, while in the forests themselves they apparently did not go). The beach still looks intact and has the most beautiful steep coasts (seashore bluffs). Sometimes steeper, sometimes sloping, it stretches for kilometers.
I’ve spent there ten summers and (if the weather is good!) it is really like paradise (if You are not a farmer, to whom it’s a hard working saeson). There are also days and even weeks, when the sea is growing thick fog, allowing only vaguely guess where the sun is. Or even worse – ther’s drizzling bothersome rain that we called 'the horizontal rain', because it really came close to parallel to the ground surface. And yet the bright days there were much more and especially beautiful was the last week in August – warm water in the sea, the evening mist around the nearby pasture, where roamed herds of wild boars, sometimes other animals, too (marten, weasel!). Storks of a great multitude came together for a discussion of how and when to go south. The young storks fluttered already safely with their parents or without them. Today in the summer here are a lot of people with many different recreational and organized groups, and living private in boarding houses (boarding and lodging; guest houses) or in tents. Here, for example, Karate training camp sight.
But here in turn – instead of slugging in hot sand enjoy the wind and freedom.

This entry was posted in Boating, Outdoor Activities, Wind gliding and tagged amber, beach, fishing, fog, Jūrkalne, marten, sand, sea, storks, swimming, weasel, wild boars, wind gliding by jtnorsen. Bookmark the permalink.

It will be posted in my website 'My Nordic nature' (www.norsenature.com' - I You like, look after other antries there.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb