Sorrento - Day 2 aboard the SeaDream II


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 5th 2005
Published: June 7th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The Pool DeckThe Pool DeckThe Pool Deck

A view of the pool on the SeaDream with Sorrento in the background.
The name SeaDream is pretty apropos for this vacation. Both the ship and the ports are so incredible, we are just continually in awe. Perhaps the best illustration I can give you is that I heard Kelly say she no longer wants her ashes strewn from a helicopter over Nordstrom, but she wants them thrown over a bluff on the Amalfi Coast. Now don’t take that to mean Kelly has forsaken shopping as her favorite pastime because the shopping here is superb - both small charming shops with examples of local craftsmanship and Rodeo Drive like boutiques with brands I’ve never heard of, but are commonplace in Style and People magazine. That said, the beauty of the coast line and these ancient towns and villages is really indescribable.

Most of the story of Sorrento can be gleaned from the pictures and captions below, but I need to add a little color to at least one. The most notable story from Sorrento was our purchase of the inlaid wood piece of artwork shown in the picture. This is one of the local crafts that have been carried on for centuries on the Sorrento peninsula. We met this really interesting and passionate (I guess that goes without speaking when you are describing Italians) guy named Marco who was a 4th generation proprietor of the finest store in Sorrento. While Kelly was buying linens, I was falling in love with the woodwork. After all my comments about the chandelier, I had found my own heirloom and wanted one made by a master, not a mere apprentice. I suppose it didn’t hurt that Kelly thought Marco was a pretty dashing Italian who is actually half Australian and speaks English and Italian with an Aussie accent.

After our purchase, Marco sent us to one of the finest hotels in town with a restaurant with a fabulous view. We’re already checking out the possibilities for a return trip with the kids and this place would be a top choice for us.

I let the pictures tell the rest of the story



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

At the Sorrento DockAt the Sorrento Dock
At the Sorrento Dock

The was before you took a shuttle up to the top of the bluffs
Chuck's ChandelierChuck's Chandelier
Chuck's Chandelier

Chuck and Marco Gargiulo, a fourth generation owner of Gargiulo and Jannuzzi the finest shop in Sorrento featuring inlaid woodwork art. They are holding Chuck's new piece of artwork - made by a master, not an apprentice!
A Beautiful View of Sorrento (& Kelly)A Beautiful View of Sorrento (& Kelly)
A Beautiful View of Sorrento (& Kelly)

We ate lunch on the bluff at the Bellevue Syrene. We've already checked prices for staying theire on a return trip - pricey, but worth it as you can see.
And a shot of us bothAnd a shot of us both
And a shot of us both

The meal was excellent, but it was the first $33 club sandwich I had ever seen!
The Street Scene in SorrentoThe Street Scene in Sorrento
The Street Scene in Sorrento

Piazza Tasso, the main shopping district in Sorrento
Narrow Streets and Tiny ShopsNarrow Streets and Tiny Shops
Narrow Streets and Tiny Shops

Many beautiful things like Inlaid Wood, Embroideries, Laces, Potteries, all by local artisans. Lemons are a really big deal in the Mediterrean - everything from something called Lemonciello to lemon perfume and lemon chocolate. We certainly did our part to boost the coastal economy.
Dinner with the CaptainDinner with the Captain
Dinner with the Captain

Exactly why, we are not sure, but we got to dine at the Captain's table that night with couples from Vancouver and Chattanooga. The Captain is Norweigan, but now lives in Charleston South Carolina-drawn their by his wife. He's been a captain for only a month, but is a pretty good driver!
A Night with DeanoA Night with Deano
A Night with Deano

We finished the night with that lovable Italian, Dean Martin. There was dancing under the stars on pool deck.


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0538s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb