Florence & VENICE


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
July 29th 2006
Published: August 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

our trip is more than half way done ... i cant believe it!
We've been to alot of places that have the sun and beaches on the coast... now we are going north and inland.
After coming back from Greece we headed to FLORENCE, ITALY. We only got to spend one night in FLorence. We stayed at a campground (AGAIN) and spent the night playing cards and drinking bear.. not bad eh. The next morning we got up REAL early and headed to the city. Our train to VENICE was leaving at 1pm so we only had the morning to see all we wanted to see in Florence. We went to the Galleria dell'Accademia to see David. The line up was huge! As soon as we got in and saw the sculpture the wait was worth it. David is so much bigger than we both thought it would be. The detail was so amazing. We spent as much time as possible just looking up at it in awe (like everyone around us was doing)
After seeing David we walked by the DUOMO... a huge and beautiful church ...unfortunately the lineup was too long to go in.. but just looking at it from the outside was amazing.

After seeing Florence VERY FAST we went to the train station and caught our train to VENICE. We both LOVED VENICE. Everything about the city was amazing. There are so many little canals of water with gandolas and boats (water taxis and buses) going every which way. The bridges that people walk over the canal were everywhere and they were so picturesque. The city just has a magical feeling about it. We stayed at a hostel that used to be an actual palace. its name was PALAZZO ZENOBIO, its now a monestary (second one of the trip..lol) we were able to get a tour of the palace and we were able to go into the ballroom and see all the artwork on the celiing and walls. it was amazing!

The palace we stayed at is very cloase to the students quarter of the city. The night we got to VENICE we saw and heard ppl chanting and a bunch of friends and family members following a young graduate from medical school and making a fool out of him. sort of like a congratulatory initiation... it was so funny to watch! we also lucked out and we found the best deal in town for dinner... a pizza take away place that had a big pizza for 4.50... and then a bar across the square that we were able to bring the pizza over and eat it there while Ian had a beer and Karla had a spritzer.. which is really popular in Venice. and then off to have a gelato. yup... not too bad i must say!

VENICE is so beauitiful! We explored the whole city... we went to the PIAZZA di SAN MARCO and fed the pigeons which was alot of fun actually. we went to the famous bridge del sospiri and Rialto bridge. We went to the first ghetto and went inside the BASILICA SAN MARCO and toured around... so gorgeous! We went on a tour of the TEATRO la FENICE which was very nice. This theater has burnt down twice in its history. We were able to go to the royal box and see the whole theater.

All the history the city had to offer was great, with the carnaval masks and costumes and the many palaces to the gondolas.. it was unreal! We both really enjoyed Venice, definitly one of our favorite places!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

karla feeding the pigeonskarla feeding the pigeons
karla feeding the pigeons

ok-- i dont like birds on me! hahaha
theatro la fenicetheatro la fenice
theatro la fenice

ceiling of the theatro
our palaceour palace
our palace

ian taking a picture through a mirror in the ballroom
doctor initiationdoctor initiation
doctor initiation

med school graduates!


1st August 2006

HIiiiiii I miss u!!!!!!!!
Oh kar.......wow...its amazing. I just read all the entries and looked at all the pics...hahaha and u know how i like to disect pics!! Im so amazed at the sights and scenery that you guys have seen. Give my love to Ian and wow wow wow...those photos are gorgeous. Have a fantastic time "roughing it" lol!! And soak in every moment! with love Fatima

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb