Enjoying Lovely Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
June 22nd 2012
Published: June 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Friday 22 June, 2012

Enjoying Lovely Venice



Today, I lazed around and did not much except catch up and my travel blog, sort out my stuff and repack. It was a good move to not go outside today, as it was so very hot again… around 40 degrees. A local told me the summer didn’t officially start until yesterday, 21 June, but since I’ve been in Europe, you could have fooled me! I mean I’ve lived in Queensland for the past 30 odd years and I don’t think it was ever this hot. Wonder how I’ll cope back in Tasmania next week when the temperatures are around 8 degrees.



This evening I did the Grand Canal circuit. This really is a cosmopolitan country and so steeped with history. Venice itself is so different to most of the other areas I’ve been to. You can just imagine how life must have been when you look at the palaces along the Grand Canal, most of which are testament to the wealth of the merchants that built them, back when Venice was one of the major suppliers to the East. The merchants ran their business on the ground floor or more rightly at water level, so as to be able to get there stock in and out by boat, and they lived in their elaborate mansions on the upper floors. It was definitely a case of keeping up with the Jonses.



The evening was balmy but not as hot as previous nights, and I actually felt quite relaxed and was finally enjoying this lovely city. Just watching some of the lovers go buy in the gondolas, made me feel the romance of this unusual city.



I went ashore at The Rialto Bridge and meandered through some of the touristy stalls until I came upon a little piazza with an open air restaurant. It was twilight and the restaurateurs were starting to light candles for the tables. I was feeling good and as this was my last night in Venice I decided to treat myself to a nice meal and soak up the atmosphere one last time


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb