Background: Italy became a nation-state in 1861 when the city-states of the peninsula, along with Sardinia and Sicily, were united under King Victor EMMANUEL II. An era of parliamentary government came to a close in the early 1920s when Benito MUSSOLINI established a Fascist dictatorship. His disastrous alliance with Nazi Germany led to Italy's defeat in World War II. A democratic republic replaced the monarchy in 1946 and economic revival followed. Italy was a charter member of NATO and the European Economic Community (EEC). It has been at the forefront of European economic and political unification, joining the Economic and Monetary Union in 1999. Persistent problems include illegal immigration, organized crime, corruption, high unemployment, sluggish economic growth, and the low incomes and technical standards of southern Italy compared with the prosperous north.
Photos from Todi
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Todi
Latest Blogs from Todi
- September 9th 2012 Italy 39 - Todi a medieval gem
by Words: 816 Photos: 4
- July 24th 2012 Montecastello di Vibio and Todi
by Words: 21 Photos: 0
- July 23rd 2012 To our first farmhouse
by Words: 127 Photos: 0
- May 20th 2012 Roma Calling - May 20 - Todi and Titignano
by Words: 1795 Photos: 9
- March 24th 2010 Viva L'italia!
by Words: 3 Photos: 0
- July 20th 2009 It has been a while.....
by Words: 1528 Photos: 27
- October 26th 2008 DC-Rome-Bari
by Words: 898 Photos: 0
- January 13th 2008 Hill towns and three hour lunches
by Words: 171 Photos: 12