Warrens and Treadways in Florence!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
July 22nd 2011
Published: July 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

111

Had to sneak in this photo of M&K all dressed up for formal night!
I wasn’t there (we were in the Cinque Terre remember?) but…….
Rumor has it from the Warren source that they had a great time in Florence with the T’s. They started their day in Pisa where they visited the leaning tower, cathedral and baptistery located at the mouth of the river Arno on the Ligurian Sea at what is called the “field of miracles” so named after a poet flew over the beautiful white buildings and stated that their stunning beauty could only be a “miracle”. The Cathedral was begun in 1064 but many parts were updated in the 1500’s after fires damaged the original inter parts. The “leaning” Bell Tower of Pisa was begun in 1173 and took 177 years to finish. Five years after construction started, the building started sinking on its south side. The building was left for a century, which allowed the subsoil to stabilize and prevented the building from collapsing. In 1272, to adjust the leaning of the building, when construction resumed, the upper floors were built with one side taller than the other. The seventh and final floor was added in 1319.
After a stunning drive through the Tuscan countryside, they were on to Florence
222

Pisa!
where they visited Santa Croce Cathedral consecrated in 1442, where the great artist tomb is located. Then they toured on to the Duomo of Florence. Construction on the Duomo had been begun in 1296 and was completed almost 200 years later in 1436 with the dome engineered by Filippo Brunelleschi.
Later on M,K and T’s spent time viewing the sights, shopping and drinking wine (what a surprise!) at an exclusive wine shop. I have heard that some fabulous Brunello was consumed and pictures are proof! They also visited the original masterpiece “David” by Michelangelo at the academia, where photos are forbidden. Fortunately, the Florentines have provided a copy of the beautiful statue in the square in front of Palazzo Veccio for us to see also!
I have also slipped in a pic of M and K in their fancy formal wear from our first formal night at sea!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

33
3

The Leaning Tower of Pisa
44
4

The crew, overlooking Florence
55
5

Tuscany hillside
66
6

Florence vista with the Cathedral
77
7

Florence Cathedral "the Duomo"
88
8

Santa Croce interior
99
9

Michaelangelo's Tomb
1010
10

MK and T in front of the river Arno and Ponte Vechio
1111
11

M&K in romantic Florence!
1212
12

Wine tasting in Tuscany!
12-512-5
12-5

Mmmm... more Brunello please!
1313
13

Here is the "David" copy in the Palazzo Vechio square. Sorry the original is not available for photos!


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb