Volterra


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Volterra
March 8th 2010
Published: March 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Etruscan GateEtruscan GateEtruscan Gate

The oldest standing Etruscan gate in Italy - leads into Volterra. The 3 very eroded heads above the gate (they look like big blobs) are meant to be Zeus and his sons Pollux and Castor. Per Rick Steves, this is what happens when you leave something outside for 2000 years.
(Sunday March 7) On Sunday we headed off to Volterra, another hill town in Tuscany. Like San Gimignano, Volterra is surrounded by a huge stone wall. To get into town, you park outside the wall and walk in. Volterra is famous for its alabaster stone works.

The weather is very cold (high in the low 40's) and they are forecasting snow for the region. Seriously...snow. And alot of it apparently. Since we were expecting spring sunshine weather we did not pack for snow. So -- we had to go shopping!! Although many stores in Volterra are closed on Sunday, we managed to find a shoe store (hurray!) where Michelle purchased a fabulous pair of Italian boots to prepare for the snow. It had to be done :-)








Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Palazzo PrioriPalazzo Priori
Palazzo Priori

One of the main squares.
PizzaPizza
Pizza

Pizza-by-the-slice is very popular.
Roman TheaterRoman Theater
Roman Theater

Just outside the wall around Volterra is the Roman Theater, built around 10 B.C.
Lost againLost again
Lost again

The whole town is only a couple hundred meters but I always seem to manage to get us lost.
Cobblestone roadsCobblestone roads
Cobblestone roads

Photo of the streets and tall rustic buildings. No cars allowed except for residents. You park outside the walls and walk in.
PharmacyPharmacy
Pharmacy

Nothing like Rite-Aid.
GelateriaGelateria
Gelateria

A gelato store, a common sight throughout Italy. We have yet to try any (still pretty cold here).
TabaccheriaTabaccheria
Tabaccheria

Cuban Cigars!
Boar HeadBoar Head
Boar Head

Boar is pretty common around here and there are many boar heads mounted outside of restaurants. The wild boar salami was excellent.


Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb