17th Aug - West Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Viareggio
August 20th 2008
Published: August 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday...a true ‘day of rest’ over here. Almost all shops are shut and streets are deserted so it was an ideal day to travel across Italy to Florence. We decided the other day to skip Rome during this trip and fly there from England instead as we’re a bit short of time.
We drove from Venice through Bologna - this looked like a really nice city with great architecture. We had a drive around the city and stopped at a park for lunch. We took a few photos and moved on down to Florence. When we got to Florence we did the same - drove around the city, decided it looked a bit ‘city-like’ for us, i.e. big and full of concrete buildings, so left and drove up the coast to stay at a camping ground in Torre del Lago Puccini, near Viareggio (up on the coast above Pisa). We found a lovely camping ground where the people were really friendly (I even got a free T-shirt and we only stayed one night!). We set up camp and had our dinner of pasta.
The supermarkets over here have hardly any variety in food - just pasta, pasta, pasta sauce and more pasta. We tried to find some sauce to make a kind of rice risotto/Chinese meal - that was a mission! Eventually in a tiny wee dark corner on a top shelf we managed to find a few jars of a rice risotto sauce. Another interesting observation - there are hardly any food places around here other then Ristorante’s and Pizzareo’s - no Indian or Chinese, nothing at all (that we’ve seen anyway).
After dinner the camp brought in some people who performed acrobatic stunts. This was really fun to watch. They did some performances on roller skates - including swinging each other in the air, performances on high swings, performances where they balanced themselves on small poles etc. They also did some clown/comedy acts - which were funny even though we couldn’t understand a word of what they were saying.
After getting to bed at 11.00 we feel asleep listening to the band playing which we think was hired by the camping ground next door.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Our bargin 1.5L bottle of wineOur bargin 1.5L bottle of wine
Our bargin 1.5L bottle of wine

Only 3.95 Euros! And it tasted great too!
Daniel cookingDaniel cooking
Daniel cooking

Yummy pasta...again...Italy!
The show at nightThe show at night
The show at night

These guys were all on rollerskates - pretty amazing!


Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb