Exploring San Gimignano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » San Gimignano
October 2nd 2011
Published: October 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday Oct 2 San Gimignano
Today we decided to walk from the apartment (farm) into San Gimignano. It was about a ½ hr walk in. You start on the hill of the farm, down into the valley and then back up the hill on the other side to get to the base of the town, then up into the town. My legs will be in better shape by the time we leave here with all the climbing! It was another 30 degree day so by the time we walked into town in the sun I was pouring sweat even if it was only 10:30 am. San Gimignano is a really neat city. It is popular with tourists so fairly busy, but even within the wall of the city, you could wander down side streets with no one else around. The main shopping street is always very busy with people. They are smart here in Italy, car aren’t allowed into the old towns so everyone parks in lots on the perimeter and walks around. The streets are so narrow and cobblestoned that it is fascinating just to walk around. Little restaurants are tucked into little side streets or around un expected corners. Some of the streets are very steep. In the center square is the main Duomo and the town hall. Most of the other standing medieval towers that San Gimignano is famous for are also around this main square. People are relaxing on the steps everywhere; visiting and enjoying a slice of pizza or some gelato. The gelato has been very good. I typically have lemon.
In the town hall there is a museum and you can also climb to the top of the Torre Grossa (the tallest tower). It was only half as many steps at the Campanille in Florence, but the view from the top over the town and across the fields of Tuscany was beautiful. We had lunch on a terrace on the edge of the town walls, overlooking the valley. Claude tried Tuscan sausage with beans and I had a pasta with wild boar sauce. Both were very good.
It was really roasting hot by the time we did the trek back to the house so we had a plunge in the pool to cool down before making supper.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb