Day Trip to Pisa and the Field of Miracles


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
March 16th 2012
Published: March 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today we had another yummy breakfast at the hotel (biscotti with Nutella, stuffed crossants, and a variety of other rolls). I could get used to this. :-) Then we headed to the train station for a day trip to Pisa. After an hour on the train with some chatty Spring Breakers and their oversized luggage, we arrived in the quaint town of Pisa.

We opted to walk through the city to the Field of Miracles in lieu of the more popular bus taken by most tourists, and we weren't dissapointed. On our way there, we walked through an open air mall with unique boutiques not found in Florence. Brecklyn found a cute white dress at the store "Prenatal". Then we walked past the university where Andre Bocceli and Galileo studied. The streets here were very narrow and it seemed that bikes were in style. People wearing everything from casual to business suits and dresses were commonly seen cruising through the pedestrian crowds. It seemed that the cars in this town were a nuisance on the streets filled with chic shoppers.

We picked up some sandwiches at a local 'bar' and brought them with us to the Field of Miracles. The leaning tower, baptistry, and church were breathtaking. My favorite spot, however, was sitting on the grass in the shadow of the tower of Pisa eating our paninos and gazing out at the sites and neighboring tourists, which mostly consisted of college-aged kids attempting to hold up the tower for a picture.

The square surrounding the leaning tower is filled with the same market type vendors seen in Florence but maybe a little cheaper. Grace took this opportunity to pick out a Pinocchio puppet for a sovenior. Then we decided to walk back through town to the train station to find some gelato. This time Brecklyn got to pick and she chose melon. It was delicious, so cool and refreshing. After paying 1.20 Euros for the girls to go to the bathroom at the train station, we hopped back on the train to Florence.

In Florence, we had dinner and did some more shopping. :-) We ended the night with pastries, Italian beer and watching Italian cartoons in the hotel. Tomorrow we plan on seeing the Galileo museum and then off to Rome.

Ciao.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Riding to PisaRiding to Pisa
Riding to Pisa

On a Train
Famous UniversityFamous University
Famous University

Where Galileo studied
Crawling up the WallsCrawling up the Walls
Crawling up the Walls

The Duomo in Pisa
New Dance Craze?New Dance Craze?
New Dance Craze?

No, just idiotic tourists trying to hold up the tower.


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb