"We're cursed! Oh, God! She cursed us!"


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
June 13th 2010
Published: June 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Pisa



Fillipo (our driver) picked us up early today in his Mercedes van from our apartment in Florence, and drove us to Pisa! This was a big surprise for Anna, who desperately wanted to see the Leaning Tower of Pisa, but was intentionally put under the impression that we would not be doing so. She was certainly surprised and so happy when she awoke from her nap (conveniently having missed all the "Pisa" road signs) and saw as we approached the Leaning Tower of Pisa from the window.

We actually had the opportunity to climb the tower, winding up the stairs all the way to the top. Each floor we got to, we were amazed, and then told that we could still go higher! The view from the top was magnificent, and the top was certainly tilted! Filippo explained to us that the tower had been shifting and shifting a little more each year, and that in 1994, they actually had to put in extra reinforcements to keep it from collapsing because the soil is so soft there. Filippo actually taught us a lot of things, such as how to say and motion several obscenities in Italian. Mom prompted him…

On the way back to our van, we were accosted by an African woman offering to sell us beaded items, like bracelets and necklaces. She claimed to be from Kenya (FYI, pretty much the richest country in Africa) and handed my aunt a small wooden elephant that she claimed would give her a long life, and then gave Anna and me each a bracelet, that she claimed as good luck charms. We were blown away! How generous, and what a lovely day this was turning out to be. She then proceeded to stick out her palm… and as we had been approached by her, and handed things by her, and never showed any intention of planning to give her a dime, we did not realize that she wasn't actually gifting us anything and promptly took the bracelets off our wrists and left in a huff… Anna quickly grew very upset and exclaimed (then and several times throughout the rest of the day), "She took our luck away 😞 We're cursed! Oh, God! She cursed us!" ……

We have temporarily lost the camera cord ... Pictures to uploaded when found!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Climbing the TowerClimbing the Tower
Climbing the Tower

The Leaning Tower of Pisa was originally built to only be a bell tower.


14th June 2010

I enjoyed your post from Pisa, and it reminded me of my own time in Italy. I can't wait to go back! Just be careful: the gypsies and theifs/people trying to "gift" things are among the worst (most skilled) of anywhere! They are magicians at robbing people! My blog is looking for travel photos, reviews, etc, to share. If you have the time, check it out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com, or email me at dirtyhippiesblog@gmail.com. Continued fun on your travels! Heather :)

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0507s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb