Background: Italy became a nation-state in 1861 when the city-states of the peninsula, along with Sardinia and Sicily, were united under King Victor EMMANUEL II. An era of parliamentary government came to a close in the early 1920s when Benito MUSSOLINI established a Fascist dictatorship. His disastrous alliance with Nazi Germany led to Italy's defeat in World War II. A democratic republic replaced the monarchy in 1946 and economic revival followed. Italy was a charter member of NATO and the European Economic Community (EEC). It has been at the forefront of European economic and political unification, joining the Economic and Monetary Union in 1999. Persistent problems include illegal immigration, organized crime, corruption, high unemployment, sluggish economic growth, and the low incomes and technical standards of southern Italy compared with the prosperous north.
Photos from Montepulciano
Blogs from Montepulciano
Latest Blogs from Montepulciano
- October 2nd 2012 Day 11 - Tuscan Wine Tasting from Roma!
by Words: 930 Photos: 44
- June 9th 2012 Devastated
by Words: 258 Photos: 0
- June 8th 2012 School’s Out!
by Words: 127 Photos: 2
- June 6th 2012 Back on the Sanna Trail
by Words: 324 Photos: 7
- June 5th 2012 Just Study! Boring!
by Words: 238 Photos: 0
- June 5th 2012 Whispering hills
by Words: 698 Photos: 0
- June 4th 2012 Making Gnocchi!
by Words: 199 Photos: 18
- June 3rd 2012 Study Day
by Words: 136 Photos: 4
- June 2nd 2012 Catch up Day!
by Words: 293 Photos: 1
- June 1st 2012 Outside the Walls
by Words: 59 Photos: 4
- May 31st 2012 Taste of Montepulciano
by Words: 120 Photos: 6
- May 30th 2012 Bombed Out!
by Words: 172 Photos: 8
- May 29th 2012 Getting left behind in this fast pace!
by Words: 78 Photos: 1
- May 28th 2012 First Day of School – Italian Language Lessons
by Words: 191 Photos: 1
- May 27th 2012 Milan to Montepulciano
by Words: 322 Photos: 0
- October 9th 2011 Montepulciano
by Words: 993 Photos: 16
- June 22nd 2011 Hit the mountain towns - Montepulciano and San Quirico D'Orcia
by Words: 707 Photos: 32
- May 16th 2011 Lost in Tuscany
by Words: 198 Photos: 0
- April 12th 2011 Tuscany
by Words: 154 Photos: 14
- December 1st 2010 Montepulciano photos
by Words: 7 Photos: 10