Livorno, Tuscany, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Livorno
April 22nd 2013
Published: April 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 22nd April, 2013 - Livorno, Italy

We awoke this morning to find that the toilet had stopped flushing again and although we had sailed overnight we still had no hot water. We went to breakfast in the restaurant which was excellent.

We caught the shuttle bus into Livorno. We spent a couple of pleasant hours wandering around the canals and the market. The main attraction on this walk was the Fortezza Vecchia, one of Livorno's most important historic monuments. This stately fortress is the result of a number of superimposed additions made over the centuries. It was actually closed for repairs but as M leant on the 'padlocked' gate to take a photo it swung open. M only just managed to stay standing but the result was that we were inside! We looked at the list of the poor souls from Livorno who had been lost in the 1849 War Of Independence and took a snap of D to prove that we had been inside. The tower of Matilda dates back to the 10th-11th century and the Quadratura dei Pesani and the Circular Keep to the 16th century. Building of the Renaissance fortress began in 1521 to a design by Antonio da Sangallo, who isolated it from dry land. The complex still stands on an island today.

The canals were very attractive and the area, located in the historic heart of Livorno, is known as Quartiere Storico de la Venezia (The Historic Venezia Quarter). It was designed in the 17th century as an island crossed by bridges and canals that still today makes it similar to the city of Venice. In the 18th century the city's wealthiest foreign merchants had their residences here. The historic Venice quarter houses elegant shops, restaurants and bars. The church of Santa Caterina that dates back to 1720 is very imposing. Some of the quarter's historic buildings include the Bottini dell'Olio used for processing and storing olive oil.

After we had walked around the Fort and the Venice quarter we went to the Mercato Coperto o "Delle Vettovaglie" or Covered Market. The market is located in a building with fantastic 19th century architecture. It has a splendid roof made of glass and iron that covers the halls full of shops and stalls. The market houses the gastronomic traditions of Livorno and other cultures, such as kosher meat. For sale here is the catch of the day, spices, fruit and thousands of other products.

We returned to the ship to find that the toilet still didn't flush and that we still have no hot water. After complaining we were told that we are not the only cabin with these problems. M negotiated the use of another cabin so that we could at least take a shower.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



22nd April 2013

Glad you got there Safe & Sound
Hi Guys, great photo's as usual. Looks fascinating, rich in history and tradition. Will keep following your Blog. Hope the sanitary conveniences get sorted!!! Love, Carolyn x

Tot: 0.382s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb