The world of the Medicis


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 19th 2012
Published: July 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday afternoon, we went to the Palazzo Pitti and the Boboli Gardens. The palace was the last residence of the Medici family. It is ornately decorated, particularly the original audience and waiting rooms. The rooms of the palace now show many of the treasures of the Medici family, as well as other exhibitions. The Boboli gardens belong to the palace and they are designed in an Italianate style. Our expectations were high. However, upon entering we were somewhat disappointed. The heat and lack of shade did not make the visit any more pleasant. The highlights of the garden were the amphitheatre and some of the statuary.

This afternoon, we visited the Medici Chapels and the Museo dell’Opera del Duomo. The Chapels are an amazing sight. Unfortunately, part of the chapel was covered in scaffolding, so that they can repair panels of marble that had become loose. Michelangelo’s sacristy shows some of his later masterpieces. The Museo (museum) houses many of the treasures of the Duomo, Campanile and the Baptistery. These include parts of the original façade (what’s there now is a 19th century addition) and the Baptistery’s “Doors of Paradise”. We were not able to see the latter, because they were creating a new area where they are housed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.326s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb