Driving in Florence


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
March 13th 2010
Published: March 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Navigation though FlorenceNavigation though FlorenceNavigation though Florence

Even the GPS device was trying to send us to restricted areas.
Here is a tutorial on how to drive in Florence - DON'T do it! We had a rental car since it was the only way to get around the hill towns of Central Italy, so we used it to get to our hotel in Florence. What an adventure that was.

First of all, Italian drivers are all insane. We come from a country where there are strict rules about driving - you stop at a stop signs, you merge when safe, you yield for pedestrians, you stop on a red light and you go on a green light. None of the rules apply here in Florence. In fact there are many destinations in the city that there is NO way to get to unless you break a law or two! Of course with Michelle being such a rule follower it was not easy to get anywhere.

Due to traffic problems in the city center itself you need to have a special permit in order to drive there. However there doesn't seem to be any signs to tell you when you are entering a restricted area - but the poliza know! They have cameras out that take a picture of
Returning the CarReturning the CarReturning the Car

So happy to dump off the rental car at the airport.
your license plate as soon as you enter a restricted area and then mail you a ticket with a steep fine. And every time you enter a new restricted area you get another fine. I don't *think* that we ran through any restricted areas but we may have a pile of citations waiting for us in our mail when we get home.

Although driving in Florence (and Italy in general) is completely crazy it seems to work. If you need to get into another lane and someone is in your way you just start merging anyways - and the funny thing is that people move for you. Road rage doesn't seem to exist here. So what if someone almost took out your front left quarter panel, they didn't so who cares. People drive very fast and will come right up on your bumper if you are not going fast enough. Though as soon as they can pass they just pass you without glaring at you or flipping you off or anything. It is all very weird. So even though it looks like complete chaos, I think that it is the lack of rules that actually makes everything work.

Regardless, we were really happy to return the car today. Trains for the rest of the trip!


Advertisement



15th March 2010

Driving in Florence
I know what you mean. I think it was in Florence that I was told "you can't get there from here". If someone comes up behind you fast on the freeway, put your left blinker on to indicate that you are not going to move over. They will happily pass you on the right. Sounds like you are having quite an adventure. So happy for you both.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb