Forza Firenze


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Florence
July 10th 2007
Published: July 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

July 10th 5:51p.m.

I just stopped by the Baptistery by the Duomo after class, and I was blown away. I’m finally beginning to understand what Firenze was about and why it’s renowned for its art pieces. All that complaining about the coursework has been starting to pay off as some of the stuff we do in class is applicable to what we see in this city. The Baptistery is amazing; the Gates of Paradise created by Ghiberti (which have been moved to the Museo) are just the beginning. Inside the octagonal dome are frescoes unlike any other. I guess it really isn’t a fresco, but more of a mosaic. Nevertheless, simply amazing. The huge depiction of Jesus is breathtaking, and the stories can be appreciated by anyone. I wish my friends and family members could see this, it’s unreal. This city is unreal.
The other day, we went to the Palazzo Piti which was home to the Medici family; basically, it’s a huge ass castle and their “backyard” known as the Boboli gardens combined to create a stake of land at the top of the hill overlooking many facades of Florence. (I don’t want to bore you with how the Medici’s became one of the wealthiest in the WORLD, because if you’re interested in history, you can look it up; even a quick Wikipedia search would do.)
Anyways, I wanted to keep this brief; time to enjoy some wine and cheese (it’s been a long week and it’s only Tuesday… quiz after reading after quiz after exam… it’s tiring, but that’s nothing for a Renaissance man).



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0533s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb