Back to our roots - Marina di Carrara


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Carrara
June 13th 2010
Published: June 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After we left Pisa, Filippo then drove us to a little town by the beach called Marina di Carrara, where my family is from. It was such a delightful experience and what a beautiful town! We had lunch right on the bluest of blue water at a seafood restaurant. The weather was so nice too, as it was much cooler and breezy by the water. I've now had my second "ok maybe one less glass of wine next time" experience, which is pretty good considering we've had wine with every single meal. Even Anna has been having a couple sips! …and…we might have had gelato…again…

I was so glad that we were going to be near this town at some point during our trip, as seeing where the family is from is just really something I've wanted to do, and I'm so grateful we got the chance to do so. The whole day we told old passed down stories of our first relatives that came over to the states, and looked around with wide-eyed at the (I'm sure much changed) town that our grandmothers and grandfathers lived in.

We even got to see the marble mountains of Carrara, that my great(maybe another great?)-grandfather used to carve beautiful statues and pieces of furniture from. We even have a small statue in our house of the Madonna that he carved from the marble of Carrara. It was quite a sight to see...the marble mountains overlooking the sea.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb