Some More Sun in Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sardinia
October 12th 2010
Published: October 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 on the cruise was a relaxing one. We made the decision to stroll around the ‘sleepy’ town of Liverno, Italy (Tuscan province). Basically, there is shopping, more shopping and even discount shopping in this cute and quaint town. We chose to spend the morning browsing and the afternoon lying on deck in the sun. The weather was phenomenal!

Eating is a big task on this cruise. I have never eaten so much in my life! It is a bit ridiculous as to how much food consumption takes place. At dinner, some folks at our English speaking table (specifically my mom) order 7 courses as ‘why not taste everything’. OYE. It’s ridiculous.

Day 3 on the cruise was spent in Sardinia. We arrived in the city of Olbia, Italy early in the morning. Our excursion was a beautiful tour of the emerald coast. We had 2 stops on the bus. One stop was Porta Cervo. This is the most expensive area on the island (Bill Gates recently sold a home here). Besides the fact that a coca cola costs 25 Euros, the area was surrounded by yachts, Prada, Gucci, D&G, Cartier, etc… it was like Madison Ave in paradise. Some folks on the tour compared the area to San Tropez. I have never been, so I couldn’t agree or disagree. Our other stop was San Pantaleo. This was a more down to earth area where the shops were more local and affordable. Overall it was a nice day.

This is my 2nd cruise in my lifetime. My 1st was Alaska. The ship in Alaska held over 3,000 passengers (+1,000 crew), while this cruise holds about 900 passengers (+250 crew members). The boat only has 2 places to eat vs. my 9 restaurants in Alaska. Our stops in Alaska were interesting and pure natural beauty. So far the stops on my current cruise are beautiful, but not as unique and interesting. Also, as I am the youngest English speaking person… and no one gambles at the casino! My mom is staying out later than me with her 50 something year old friends. Hilarious!


Advertisement



19th January 2011

About Sardinia
Hi! Glad that you liked Sardinia although you visited the less genuine part of the Island. The Costa Smeralda was actually built to be an expensive resort for VIPs and it is nothing like the real Sardinia that I love, although the landscape is still amazing and the weather always impressive. There are a number of cruises that stop in the South of the island as well (Cagliari) if you come back to the Med. :-) If you wish you can find more about Sardinia on www.blog-sardinia.co.uk Ciao! Manuela

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0881s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb