Day 22 - Torino - World Masters Games Opening Ceremony


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Piedmont » Turin
August 9th 2013
Published: August 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It was a fairly slow start to the day as I was feeling a bit shady after last nights dinner! Headed into town around 2pm to look around before we had to marshall for the opening ceremony. Caught the train in and walked across the Po River to a large memorial, took some photos and then had a gelati. Wandered back to the Piazza Vittori Veneto and did a lap of the shops. The atmosphere was amazing with athletes from all over the world wandering around. The rest of the team arrived around four and we started taking photos of all the different teams and outfits. We all put on Australian flag tattoos and they were also very popular with the volunteers. There was entertainment till around seven when we were asked to make our way to our sport area. There were lots of Australians in the softball section. There was also an American Indian team and a Canadian Indian team who had a squawk off, which was fun to watch.

We marched to the Piazza Castella, it was amazing. There were people lining both sides of the street, we were chanting Ozzie, Ozzie Ozzie, Oi, Oi, Oi and singing Waltzing Matilda while the Italians were chanting I-tal-ia and the Japanese team, Nippon. Everyone was handing out flags, badges and tattoos to the people lining the streets, fabulous!!

At the piazza we listened to the speeches and then went to have something to eat, there were people everywhere. Mitchell, mum and Raechel arrived in time for dinner and then we took them back into the piazza to show them where we marched and saw the flame. Great night, just amazing to be a part of.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb