Background: Italy became a nation-state in 1861 when the city-states of the peninsula, along with Sardinia and Sicily, were united under King Victor EMMANUEL II. An era of parliamentary government came to a close in the early 1920s when Benito MUSSOLINI established a Fascist dictatorship. His disastrous alliance with Nazi Germany led to Italy's defeat in World War II. A democratic republic replaced the monarchy in 1946 and economic revival followed. Italy was a charter member of NATO and the European Economic Community (EEC). It has been at the forefront of European economic and political unification, joining the Economic and Monetary Union in 1999. Persistent problems include illegal immigration, organized crime, corruption, high unemployment, sluggish economic growth, and the low incomes and technical standards of southern Italy compared with the prosperous north.
Photos from Ivrea
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Ivrea
Latest Blogs from Ivrea
- September 29th 2012 The Last Supper
by Words: 643 Photos: 10
- September 23rd 2012 Meet The Parents
by Words: 305 Photos: 2
- September 2nd 2012 Friends With Benefits
by Words: 565 Photos: 1
- August 26th 2012 Charge of The Light Brigade
by Words: 377 Photos: 0
- August 19th 2012 'Hylophobia' – Fear of Forests
by Words: 617 Photos: 0
- July 7th 2012 Hold your horses
by Words: 292 Photos: 8
- July 1st 2012 Fat bottomed girls...
by Words: 549 Photos: 1
- June 24th 2012 Ain't No Mountain High Enough...
by Words: 315 Photos: 0
- June 17th 2012 Misadventures In Italy...
by Words: 386 Photos: 1
- June 10th 2012 Another Rainy Weekend in Supposedly Sunny Italy...
by Words: 298 Photos: 0
- May 30th 2012 When In Rome...
by Words: 1048 Photos: 17
- May 20th 2012 Lost in translation...
by Words: 184 Photos: 0
- May 13th 2012 My Weekend in Italy
by Words: 396 Photos: 12
- May 6th 2012 Tour de Turin...
by Words: 241 Photos: 20
- May 5th 2012 I'm Finally Here!!
by Words: 207 Photos: 2