Day 29 A day trip to Verona


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Sirmione
May 30th 2011
Published: June 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 29 Trip to Verona
Caught a train to Verona for the day, only a short hop, it was lovely to wander the old town, narrow streets and piazza. Visited the Arena, a Roman amphitheatre now used regularly for hosting big events (soon to be Deep Purple!!). Then I dragged Kim around to find the (supposed) houses of Juliet and her Romeo. Juliet’s was easy to find, a throng of tourists, paying to get photographed on her balcony (which we found out had been put there in 1928! Also stroking the right breast of a bronze statue of Juliet, which is supposed to find you a new lover....... needless to say neither of us touched it!! But we rather marvelled at the amount of unofficial lovers’ graffiti at the site. Romeo ’s house is now a private, rather nice, set of apartments. Lastly we visited a Roman theatre, that had been built on during its lifetime and now has a monastery in its grounds, but it also is still used for concerts soon to host some group Kim remembers called Toto. After being hoisted off a rather nice Eurostar train for our return journey, by an official, we got back to camp for a well deserved cool off in the pool. At some point we’ll show you the silly hats you have to wear in the pools in Italy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Lovers GraffitiLovers Graffiti
Lovers Graffiti

The even graffitiied the information machines!


Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 19; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0974s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb