Looking for George


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Lake Maggiore
July 18th 2014
Published: July 23rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

I'm looking for George ...I know he's here somewhere!

We are at Stresa, Lago Maggiore, the second largest lake in Italy and right near Lake Como, just a few hours drive from Switzerland. If I lost a little of my heart in Switzerland, Michael has lost all of his heart right here! From the moment we arrived he didn't stop smiling, he belongs in Italia! We dropped our bags in our hotel room and immediately went for a swim at the rooftop pool and bar. The first photo shows him happily in the pool waiting for his drink. It is glorious! We were blessed with perfect weather, blue skies and blue water and a backdrop of snow capped mountains, which made for a very happy old boy!

Our drive from Switzerland to here was very scenic, and a little scarey which had nothing to do with George's driving! The boys were in awe of the many many motorbikes that were on the roads, there were hundreds of them, apparently these roads were built for riding motorbikes, switchbacks everywhere (they are kind of like hairpin bends, but worse) - a bikers heaven!

Ahh Italia, I can't believe it took us eight years to get back here, but I don't think it will take us that long again! You can't help but love Italy! The relaxed nature of the locals, their habit of taking a siesta, their delicious pasta, their wine and of course their gelato! Bellisimo!! I saw a great sign that read 'Italy should be renamed Eataly'! True that!!

Our first day was spent with the boys doing the laundry and the girls going to the hairdresser, how it should be really....good times!

We had a beautiful dinner on an isola (island) on Lago Maggiore. Firstly, we had pre dinner drinks on the rooftop bar, with views to die for. Then we were picked up by water taxi and taken to the restaurant where we had a beautiful meal....how decadent! On the menu that night was a frogs leg risotto!! We weren't in France, so didn't feel the need to try this dish!

Most of our time here was spent relaxing and wandering through the local shops and taking in the views of this magnificent lake.

On our way to Milano we stopped for lunch at a little town named Bellagio on Lake Como, it was very pretty but Jen's pick of Lago Maggiore for us was spot on! Thank you Jen!!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Maggiore

I found George! He's been sun baking by the pool for the last couple of days, having a well earned rest from his tour guide duties😊)....no photos thank goodness!

Next is Milano, where we meet Princess Patsy who is flying in to see us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Our path Our path
Our path

Scary switchbacks


23rd July 2014

Toldya!
You are right. We agree this is motorbike heaven - the reason we spent 2 weeks riding those roads last year. We stayed at Varese - just up the road from Lake Maggiore. Varese is the home of the M V Augusta factory.
23rd July 2014

Haha 'Eatily' - love it. Great post ma xx
24th July 2014

Looking for George
Ho l'acquolina in bocca , I remember how good that lemon gelato was and the food and vino, so envious.Buon appetito..luv S & P xx

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb