Blobbing in Bergamo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Bergamo
June 30th 2011
Published: June 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a hot and very weary day yesterday the tour committee agreed to a quiet day today and prepare for the next stage of our adventure. Tomorrow marks the halfway point in our trip and we look forward to the second part which starts with a train journey on the world famous Glacier Express. So blob we must today.
While the room was serviced we went for a quiet drive to Bergamo. Last night we had our first rain for over a fortnight. As a result the murky atmosphere that had been around for the past two days had temporarily disappeared and the temperature had become more bearable.
During our exploration around Bergamo we took the citté alta route to the top of the hill overlooking the rest of the city. While looking for a post office in the area we discovered the historic centre of the town. What a delightful treasure. The parking was supervised by a very friendly attendant who gave us a handwritten ticket and in very welcoming Italian wished us an enjoyable visit and that we should take as much time as we wanted. The short walk along a stone-cobbled street had us in the duomo piazza. Around the piazza were the usual collections of outdoor cafes. It was a pleasure to wander and take in the sights of the cathedral and duomo without busloads of tourists being paraded through the town by enthusiastic guides. Perhaps this part of Bergamo is not on the tourist trail and that seems to give it its appeal. University students certainly outnumbered tourists. Having spent as much time as we wanted we paid the parking attendant the fee for one hour’s parking and successfully retraced our route back to the hotel.
Back at our hotel it was a chance to catch up on rest, relaxation and blog writing.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb