Background: Italy became a nation-state in 1861 when the city-states of the peninsula, along with Sardinia and Sicily, were united under King Victor EMMANUEL II. An era of parliamentary government came to a close in the early 1920s when Benito MUSSOLINI established a Fascist dictatorship. His disastrous alliance with Nazi Germany led to Italy's defeat in World War II. A democratic republic replaced the monarchy in 1946 and economic revival followed. Italy was a charter member of NATO and the European Economic Community (EEC). It has been at the forefront of European economic and political unification, joining the Economic and Monetary Union in 1999. Persistent problems include illegal immigration, organized crime, corruption, high unemployment, sluggish economic growth, and the low incomes and technical standards of southern Italy compared with the prosperous north.
Photos from Bergamo
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Bergamo
Latest Blogs from Bergamo
- April 22nd 2012 Bergamo
by Words: 61 Photos: 0
- June 30th 2011 Blobbing in Bergamo
by Words: 309 Photos: 2
- June 10th 2010 Long time gone
by Words: 545 Photos: 0
- May 25th 2010 Alpini and Flourene again
by Words: 1476 Photos: 0
- April 30th 2010 Milan to Rome
by Words: 985 Photos: 131
- April 1st 2010 Weather, ubruptly.
by Words: 862 Photos: 0
- March 17th 2010 New home for spring!
by Words: 919 Photos: 0
- March 10th 2010 Bergamo in the snow
by Words: 185 Photos: 19
- February 9th 2010 Adaption
by Words: 876 Photos: 87
- January 24th 2010 PICTURES!... finally
by Words: 79 Photos: 49
- January 12th 2010 Getting Comfortable
by Words: 799 Photos: 0
- January 2nd 2010 .... sorry
by Words: 929 Photos: 0
- December 7th 2009 Long time, no write, SORRY!
by Words: 605 Photos: 0
- December 3rd 2009 Fish can't close their eyes...
by Words: 571 Photos: 0
- November 30th 2009 Time flys when you shop and skate.
by Words: 661 Photos: 0
- November 10th 2009 Sweet Thoughts
by Words: 779 Photos: 0
- October 21st 2009 Food and awe
by Words: 668 Photos: 0
- October 14th 2009 A typical morning.
by Words: 49 Photos: 31
- October 9th 2009 Storms and Sheep
by Words: 646 Photos: 0
- October 6th 2009 Language and Life
by Words: 595 Photos: 0