"Water and the Arts Flowed"


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Tivoli
November 25th 2009
Published: November 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Going down into the subway!Going down into the subway!Going down into the subway!

The new line is being dug even deeper, to avoid Roman ruins....
Day 36 Tivoli

We took a metro/bus combo out to Tivoli today, to visit the Villa D'Este. It was the playground of a Cardinal in the 1500s....he loved the arts and fountains...and diverted a river to run his hundreds of water features! The state has renovated many of the fountains and has them running again...most are working with just the original water pressure!

It was such a calm, beautiful spot...and the weather cooperated one last time for us...sunny and warm all day. You could see nearly to Rome (about 20 kilometers), or you could if the air was clean....

We would really recommend both a trip to Ostia Atica and to Tivoli if you come to Rome. They are so easy to get to without a car, and provide a nice break from the intensity of Rome.

Tomorrow we will wake up in Rome and go to sleep in LaConner....amazing!

Arrivederci, Italia!

Thanks to all of you who came along on the blog! Ciao until the next trip...

Lynn and Bill


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The best fountainThe best fountain
The best fountain

This went on for almost the width of the garden....
Energy ConservationEnergy Conservation
Energy Conservation

Our room entry card also controls the electricity in our room...can't leave your lights or AC on when you're gone!
Packing up for the last time on this tripPacking up for the last time on this trip
Packing up for the last time on this trip

I'm getting better at packing...five weeks with only a carryon suitcase!


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb