Rome, Day 2


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
March 19th 2012
Published: March 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After breakfast in the apartment of bread, Nutella, and eggs; we headed out for our tour of ancient Rome. Our Italian guide book has been hit or miss on our trip, but we followed the advice and bought tickets to all 3 sites (Palantine Hill, the Roman Forum and the colisseum) at Palantine Hill. We were not disappointed--not only did it save us about an hour wait at the colliseum but we were able to tour the other sites as well.

As we walked through the Forum and Palantine Hill, we taught the kids about the history of Rome and stopped at each landmark reading the description in our travel book. Unless absolutley necessary, don't bring strollers to these 3 areas. It was very difficult to navigate the stroller over many of the ancient Roman roads in the Forum and stairs and unpaved paths in the Colisseum. The highlight for Alex was all of the broken columns, bricks, and ruins of the forum that litter the area. He kept pointing and shouting "Rock!"

It began to rain when we got to the colliseum (meterologists are apparently no better here than in Texas) and were lucky to bypass the ticket line with our already purchased tickets and get right into the arena via the group tour entrance. It was spectacular and amazing to see how advanced their society was. Remarkably, it reminded me of the book "Hunger Games" with the systems of hydraulic lifts that would lift the contestant into the arena.

After crossing by Circus Maximus and seeing the remnants of the arena, we stopped for more pizza and paninos. Then we found a local grocery and stocked up on food for the remainder of our trip. Finally, we saw the Laterno Church and found a local playground where the kids ran off some energy.

This afternoon we are relaxing while the kids watch some Italian cartoons (Dinosaur Train!) before having a simple dinner in the apartment.

Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



20th March 2012

Enjoyed the pics.

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0924s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb