Day 6 - Rome, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 24th 2011
Published: May 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 - Rome, Italy

We left Sorrento this morning after one more visit to the hotel's garden. The garden is filled with blooming jasmine and citris trees that smell so good. So relaxing... But on to Rome.

We arrived at our hotel in Rome about 2:00 pm. My first impression of Rome is that it is a big city and very hectic with winding roads that are make finding places a real feat. So many tourists every where you look - all with maps in hand and puzzled looks on their faces. We were right out there in the mix. Rome stands in sharp contrast to the relaxing vibe of Sorrento.

We spent the day visiting many of the popular sites including Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Plaza Navona where we had lunch, then on to Arco de Tito and the Coloseum area after a quick stop back at the hotel. We really enjoy the great history of Italy and enjoyed Pompeii, the Napoli Archeaology Museum and the many sites around Rome. But after seeing so many of the ancient artifacts, they are starting to all looking the same. Perhaps we are trying to do too much in such a short period of time. I think if you had a month, you could really give each site it's due. But seeing them all at once seems to undermine the impact of each individual place.

With that said, tomorrow we are planning to go back to the Coloseum and visit Vatican City. We still have a lot of places to see including our side trips to Venice and Florence. As for tonight, we are going to walk around a bit to see the ruines lit up at night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0689s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb