Stunning Roma


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
May 8th 2011
Published: May 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday May 8th, 2011

Rome, Italy

We are back on the land after coming in from the sea. We landed at the port of Civitavecchia on the western coast of Italy. After storing the major part of our luggage at the cruise terminal we boarded a train for the Roma Termini Station. We have spent the last two days walking and walking some more all over Rome. The history is almost over whelming. The city is full of ruins from 300 B.C. to buildings of modern construction. But, even the modern buildings in the city center are architecturally in tune with the whole look of the city. Everything is absolutely gorgeous as you walk around the historic center of the ancient city of Roma. We have done all the must-see locales, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and the Coliseum. As you walk thru the city it seems like every turn is a new discovery of an absolutely beautiful scene, charming streetscape or wonderful little alleyway cocked full of picturesque café’s and quirky shops. Then as you think that there is nothing else ahead the alleyway clears and there is a magnificent plaza with the most gorgeous historic building from 44 B.C. in the reign of Julius Caesar. It is almost non-stop double-takes as you ride around the city and keep craning your neck to see all the really magnificent sights. Jane’s favorite building is the headquarters of the Imperial Roman Senate and it is truly magnificent to see. Towering above the Piazza Venezia, the Il Victoriano is a large, completely white edifice which is something to behold. Bronze chariots and statues depicting the glories of the Roman Empire adorn the ramparts of the building and the fountains along the curve of the wide avenue along the front of the complex. It is staggering the amount of tourists that are constantly within the city ogling at all of the historic ruins and structures. We took a hop-on hop-off bus tour of the city and you could see the lines of people waiting at all of the major sites like the Coliseum and the Vatican. St Peters Square in Vatican City was absolutely packed and it was just a normal day, no special service or festival was taking place. The line to enter the Cathedral was probably a mile long as it wrapped completely around the square which was the size of several football fields in size. We could just barely see people standing on the balcony atop the outside the dome of the Cathedral above the square. The size and grandeur of the place makes you almost believe that Rome still rules the world. I would have to say that Rome is the most impressive city that I have seen so far in our cruise around the world. You can feel the weight of the history here and it is heavy.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb