Torreano in the Sun


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Friuli-Venezia Giulia » Torreano
April 8th 2007
Published: October 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Easter Bunny got up early on Easter Sunday to deliver Easter Eggs, but was bet by Carlo who was already up reading. The Easter Bunny quietly hopped its way around the house, into the kitchen, lounge and fire place hiding Easter Eggs for everyone. It even placed one right in front of Carlo without him even noticing! - He thought It was just an ‘inquisitive cat!’... or in this case, bunny.

We all got up and found a big basket of large Easter eggs that Carlo’s parents had given us - I’m liking the Italian hospitality so far!

We had breakfast outside on the patio again and then someone informed us that the Easter Bunny had been!!! We searched around the house in random corners and in behind various things. Each finding an Easter egg one by one. It was quite funny that the last person to find an egg was Carlo - the only person in the room when the Easter Bunny was hiding them!

Somehow we managed to spend 5 hours having a BBQ and laxing out in the sun, while the boys gathered, prepared and cooked our feast. Pablo came over to help with
cin cincin cincin cin

Cheers - Pablo and Laki sample the local wine
the BBQ and showed us around his house and his amazing wine shed - where he makes his own Italian wine, still with its original rough stone floor, as if nothing had been touched since it was built.

After our massive banquet of food, we went into the local town of Cividale - whose name will never have the same elegance since Laki has let-lose the Aussie twang and bastardised it until unrecognisable. Carlo gave us a little tour of some of the other parts of the town that we hadn’t seen, through the old medieval streets and along the river edge, until arriving at one of his friends parents house, perched right on the edge of the cliff over looking the gorgeous river.

As we walked in the doorway, the mother said their dog had been acting strange today, and instructed Carlo to put his hand out so the dog could recognise him, but instead the dog barked very loudly at him and the next thing anyone knew, the dog latched his jaws around the top of Carlo’s leg !! OUCH!!
I was so scared I didn’t know what to do, so ran back outside to where
Catching some Zzz'sCatching some Zzz'sCatching some Zzz's

hanging out at Carlo's in Torreano
the others were, who had no idea what was going on.

The mother had to rip the dog off Carlo’s leg and then put him in the garage - the dog that is, not Carlo!

We were told it was safe to enter and we nervously did. I think Carlo was being too polite to worry about the bite while we were there. We went inside to see their amazing home with a balcony that suspends directly over the river below and the local wildlife on the river below even know the ‘calling sign’ to be feed.

The inside was just as beautiful and interesting as the outside. All decorated in authentic Italian stone walls and the old stone oven still in its original place in the kitchen.

We were offered a glass of wine and ended up sitting with their guests drinking a few glasses of the most exquisite bottles of home-made bubbly while Carlo and the other four Italians chatted about each of us in Italian for the rest of the evening.

It was such a unique experience to be sitting in a real Italian home with real Italians, drinking home-made Italian wine
Laxing outLaxing outLaxing out

Leah & Carlo full from Lunch
on the edge of this beautiful river - you simply can’t buy that on any tour!

Generous Italian hospitality meant that Leah and I on our best behaviour - strictly no giggling! We would politely sip our way through a glass of fine wine, making sure we didn’t look rude by leaving some behind for when it was time to leave. However, it took us a glass or two to realise that as soon as we has finished, she would get another bottle out and fill up our glasses back up to the top, even if we said no! so we’d have to start again!
After being on such good behaviour for so long, our suppressed laughter erupted as soon as we walked out the door!

It wasn’t until we got home that Carlo realised how bad his dog bite was. It had actually bit right through his trousers and drawn blood on the other side. However, boys will be boys and he refused to go to any doctor.

We had a pretty chilled out evening, as we were still quite full from our day-long BBQ lunch. Carlo suggested we should go to a ‘Disco-tech’ (sounds classy),
Peaceful RiverPeaceful RiverPeaceful River

The Nassione River running through Cividale
that he knew of in Udine, the region’s main town.

The place that Carlo was thinking of was shut, but we found another one nearby where they played pretty good music - expect that they would keep changing songs half way thought each one! “Why would you do that!!??”
Plus there was some random guy - assumed to be the DJ- who would sing along on the microphone! Very Strange!

We had to get Carlo to translate our order to be able to buy any drinks. I had a few people come and talk to me, but I had no idea what anyone was saying to me as they were all speaking Italian! But I had such a good time dancing the night away - it seems like ages since I’ve had a good boogie!

After a while I found myself at the bar trying to order a drink on my own. The kind guy at the bar put up with my crap language skills and even gave me a free drink!
I was so excited that I had found my new ‘Jonno,’ that I took Francesca up to get a drink for both of us - and he gave both of them to us on the house! - Awesome!

We had a slower start to the day on Monday, enjoying our last breakfast with the sun, birds and refreshing breeze. We spent most of the day reading, snoozing and generally relaxing out in the garden.

After lunch we went into Cividale, where Leah and I got another real Italian gelato ice-cream (I think that was No. 4), then all had a look around an exhibition about the Dolomites during the war and the conditions the men had to work in.

Soon it was time to pack up and say goodbye to Torreano, Carlo’s lovely holiday home, and his kind uncle, Pablo.

We had dinner in a dodge roadside ‘Autogrill’ type place and arrived back at Carlo’s place in Milan in the early hours of the morning, but excited for our day of exploring Milan tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Living in Italian LuxuryLiving in Italian Luxury
Living in Italian Luxury

Fran, Laki & Hannah, on the deck over looking the river.... wouldn't mind waking up to this everyday!
Ouch!Ouch!
Ouch!

Carlo's dog bite a few days later
Casa dolce casaCasa dolce casa
Casa dolce casa

Carlo's family home in Torreano


Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb