Ravenna Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Emilia-Romagna » Ravenna
November 7th 2009
Published: November 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The weekend after Fall Break, me, my roommate Caryn, our friend Abby (from our program) and another friend Matt went to Ravenna, which is about an hour and a half from Florence. We took a train which was not that expensive. When we got there it was confusing on which way to go first. We eventually figured out where to go first to buy tickets. We bought tickets for all 4 places to see the mosaics, but they were not all connected. The first place we went was a courtyard and then we went to a church filled with mosaics. It was about another 5 to 10 minute walk to the next church. The streets of Ravenna are small, but not busy at all. I would compare it to Florence, but just not as busy with tourists. It was very calm and quiet, which was nice and a change from the busy streets of Florence. There were not that many people out and walking around.

We ate lunch at a small place that just sold sandwiches and 'pizza' (just a piece of bread with tomato sauce and some cheese toasted). I had just enough cash to buy lunch, it wasn't expensive I just never seem to have cash on me when needed. After lunch we were just going to go back to Florence because we were all so tired and it was really cold that day. Instead, we found Dante's tomb, which is behind a church. We went inside the church thinking it would be in there. The church was gorgeous and was more of a museum. We then found Dante's tomb, which was just one of many tombs in this area. It looked like a bush until you looked at the stone with Dante engraved. It was a simple day trip and easy to do. However, I do wish we would have figured out lunch beforehand because no one else was hungry so it was a little bit of a hassle to find a place to eat. They had excellent shopping on this little street that we walked along, it was store after store that we recognized from the states.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb