Day 30 - Naples and Capri


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Naples
November 8th 2013
Published: November 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

An early start. Pasquale dropped us at the train station, back onto the high speed 'wagon' of the circumvesuviana and we headed into Napoli to the National Archeological Museum. Then wandered through the dirty, crowded (read, exciting) streets and spoke with a young girl from Scotland who directed us to the Port. She also told us of an area off the Piazza where you could tour underground to the Roman era and then even lower to the Greek era. We were tempted! But headed off to the Porto. On the way Roy went into a pharmacy to get some Panadol/Paracetamol and came out the a package after paying EUR5. (It wasn't until that evening, when we checked the package and noticed one slide of tiny pills and nothing on the box that even looked like panadol. I googled the name - turned out if was to assist lactating mothers, and also for nausea/vomiting. Roy, Roy, Roy. Heheheee.) Finally arrived at the Porto but unfortunately the timetable we were given was wrong (again! must be because Italy is not "outta season") so we filled in (read wasted) a couple of hours people-watching and having a drink waiting for the hydrofoil to Capri - scared at that late stage in the day that we will get there and have to leave. Didn't have time for the Capri island tour by boat, which was a shame. Purchased the ticket for AnaCapri from the Porto so we could ride the steep chair lift and take pictures. When we were standing in line, with Italian women either side, they spoke in broken English that the chair lift would be closed. I returned to the ticket office and tried to discuss this with the man. "madam!" he said (with tone) "this is my job! Tis open". 20 minutes by mini-bus on VERY narrow lane roads and we arrived in AnaCapri to find the chair lift closed at 3.30! Clearly he did NOT know his job. Took the next bus to Capri. Wandered around, took the funicular down to the port and changed our ferry tickets for an early trip back to Sorrento at the end of another glorious warm day. Took a ascendore (lift) from the Porto and wandered Sorrento at night trying to find Inn Bufalito and after about 3/4 of an hour we located the ristorante in a little side-lane and had the most lovely dinner (Roy had half a buffalo! and I had lasagne and salad, followed by panna cotta with mixed berry sauce). The restaurant was a little more upper end than we were used to eating at - the food was hot, delicious, the drinks icy cold, the wine divine. Pasquale picked us up (outside of the shuttle time). We spent time trying to work out our next travel and fell asleep thinking we would stay another day (wish it could be another week). Capri cablecar, a day on Positano beach, discovering more of Sorrento, dinner at Vino Vera... the list goes on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb