The Amalfi Coast & Amalfi Town


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Amalfi
March 21st 2008
Published: March 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Saturday I took a 3 hour bus ride along the Amalfi Coast to Amalfi Town. The ride there was something else. The bus goes along very small roads attached to the sides of cliffs overlooking the Mediterranean. I set upfront near the driver and beside a window on the right side, because I’d been told that was the best seat, and it was for two reasons: the view of the coast was best from the right side of the bus and the roads are so curvy that if you don’t sit up front you won’t be able to go the whole 3 hours without getting sick. My pictures of the coast didn’t turn out that well because it was very cloudy Saturday, but take my word this has to be the prettiest coast line in Italy.

We finally arrived in Amalfi Town, a town of only 7,000 people. Before the 14th century Amalfi used to be the largest town on the coast with a population of 70,000 but a tidal wave hit wiping out most of the city. The town was built off of its fishing and paper industries.

I spent an hour or so just wondering around and people watching, then I went to the Duomo. Most of the Cathedral has been turned into a museum, but the crypt was still in tact and covered with frescos. The crypt also houses the body of Andrew, a disciple of Christ, who's body was brought to Amalfi during the crusades.

After looking through the Duomo, I spent the rest of the day on the beach, reading, eating lunch, and people watching. Whil.e sitting on the beach I also got to watch a water sport played by the locals (I'm not sure of the name), but essentially it was a mix between water polo, basketball, and soccer played in Kayaks (see picture)

The ride back to Sorrento seemed much longer and sickening, because my body hadn't quite recovered from the ride to Amalfi.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Amalfi Coast Cont.Amalfi Coast Cont.
Amalfi Coast Cont.

See the road the bus travels clinging to the side of the cliff?
Photo 16Photo 16
Photo 16

The water sport played by the locals. It's sort of a mix between soccer, water polo, and basketball, but in kayaks.


22nd March 2008

Hey Tiff Happy Easter It is sure great that we can talk like this away over there. Sure glad that you are able to be able to take all those pictures to show us back here. We are over at Teresa and Ricky"s and she told me to write to you. Hope you are well and happy. Always remember that we love you and wish you the best always.
22nd March 2008

Post more pix!!
Hey Tiff, What a wonderful trip! Wish you had more time to explore....but now you know what to go back to see! We love seeing the places you've been. Go more! See more! Post more pix! And stay safe and well, Love, Aunt Dy

Tot: 0.206s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb