Ireland 2012 Friendship Force


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland
July 1st 2012
Published: July 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 8 & 9 – Jim R. and Gladys R.

Galway to Londonderry via Knock with a side trip to the Belik factory.

Everglades Hotel, Prehen Road, Londondery www/jastomgsjpte;s/cp,

Causeway to Belfast and stay at the Storemont Hotel www.hastingshotels.com



It was March 20ish, not necessarily a Hibernicism, somewhere around ten-a.m.ish, and the coach was ready for personality inventory by Herself, the McNally (Laurie Ann), who smartly gazed carefully to learn if all the Fabulous Flexible Friendship Follies Folks of the 2012ish team was aboard for the first stage of today's trip, to Knock. Of course she succeeded and we learned from the Coach herder Alan a little about the direction northward on this brisk, cool, somewhat overcast morning. It was rumored by someone that Knock was the location of the "knock, knock joke museum". I remember such from grade school days.



And so up the road as in days past where the fields were still green and smallish, fenced with rocks or bushes; they seemed larger than the fields in the eastern island. But the daffodils and sheep seemed to be about the same quantity from field and roadside as before. I chuckle each morning when I see the daffodils as they remind me of a hilarious story about an obnoxious Marine Colonel in a Navy Hospital; those who care may inquire for details.



Finally, Knock. Alan gave us a tour of several parking lots as he attempted to locate a place where we could safely disembark. Enroute around several never ending blocks, we saw large signs that disabused us that this was a place for knock knock stories, no sirree. Some how "Daily Confessions" and "Holy Water" left much unhumorous. Seems in the 1870's, a group witnessed, so history records, a vision of the Sainted Mary and Joseph, which was recorded and became a local shrine, where today a series of Church buildings and facilities are made available for the Faithful to utilize. And may the Faithful at Knock always have accommodation for the Soul.



The weather continued similar to yesterday. After winding around in pastoral western Ireland, we came to Sligo, the county town of County Sligo. Unbeknownst to the 2012ish team, we had earlier sans signs passed serenely into Northern Ireland, land of UK. Somewhere along here I was surprised to see a male China pheasant strutting around in a roadside field shared with sheep. Very colorful against the stark Kelly green pasturage. Then onward to Derry.



Derry sounds more Irish that the Londonderry the UK folks call it. For the uninitiated, Derry was a substantial Royal Navy base in WWII, a port for convoy organization and Royal and U. S. Navy rehabilitation after the long, perilous voyage to Canadian and American ports hazarded by German submarines from 1939 through May 1945 when the Nazis surrendered. A great sea story by Nicolas Monsarrat, The Cruel Sea, puts this all in perspective for that entire period.



The Everglades Hotel gave us Flexible Folks our daily opportunity to "here stop and spend a social hour in harmless mirth and fun, let friendship reign, be just and kind, and evil speak of none", an ancient Navy admonition, i.e. - hoist a Pint of your choice. And supper somewhat latish but sumptuous, then off to slumber land for the big push to Bushmills tomorrow. What, pray tell, did I forget? Hmmmm, how could I? Somewhere earlier in the late morning there were certain mouthings of fairer members in our group to "stop at Belleek's" for a tour! Those of us into fishing tackle and TV sports, better known as the uninitiated, had the "opportunity", so to speak, to see Alan and Herself persuaded to detour to the Belleek factory, where historically, per the ladies, truly fine, delicate and expensive chinaware is produced. Never occurred to me to own such, but then again as a "Flexible Folks" type, of curious nature, the tour became not only educational but a delight observing the enjoyment of the ladies. Learned one man had been adorning some of this for over 40 years. Didn't purchase anything as Bushmills was due in the morning.



The 21st started as a coolish but sunny and bright beginning to a quite interesting day. We found our initial Hosts of the Portrush FF at a wayside stop and then met up with many of the Club for lunch and a fun experience with them. Their Club is fairly new and the only one in Ireland, north or south. We furnished them with our friendly spirit and small gifts from America. And then on to Bushmills to tour the distillery and there learn their famous product, no matter how aged, is distilled THREE times; once would be sufficient for me. Graciously, we were each given a tot of our choice at the tour's end; mine was Black Bush, and a fine libation it was, indeed, indeed. Then, the tour challenge of the day already planned for in advance: The Giants Causeway. Some of us hiked down the trail from the tour center, a distance of some 1/2-mile, while the prudent rode in a cart for a fee. Yes, I walked down but my ancient bones demanded my heavily laden feet needed the one-pound fee ride back; and so it goes. All the basalt reminded me of my home area in WA where such is common, but no salt-water sea nearby. Tickled me to see folks wandering out on the wet basalt and wondered how many would perform a graceless fall. Didn't see any and stayed off. Some of our adventurous team was seen out there in the refreshing breeze. And, flora and fauna wise, we were still in the daffodil land. From this interesting site we headed for days end at Belfast for a two-day stop. Along the way the sheep were as abundant as ever, with a few horses. Fields and fences seemed much larger up North than in the Republic, or so it seemed to me. Weather still holding fair and enjoyable.



We arrived in Belfast as the sun was setting, but not before I was startled to see all the military signage on buildings, all hugely challenging. Seems the "Troubles" may be outwardly invisible, but there lurks a message for anyone who wishes to create or generate a new era of religious warfare. Seemed appalling to me as an obviously innocent tourist. And the painting of the military signs seemed ominously fresh and bright. Didn't appear this way in Derry, at least on the surface. This was the only depressing part of the visit. Arrived at the Hotel and the libation period to lighten up the end of the day. Tomorrow we tour the greater Belfast area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb