WILD IN WICKLOW!


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Wicklow » Wicklow
June 10th 2008
Published: June 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The geary interns! The geary interns! The geary interns!

Me, Laura, Andrea
We got wild in Wicklow. Well, we actually just took a tour bus there, but our tour bus was called Wild in Wicklow, ha.

The first picture is a random of me and the girls that I intern with. They're both awesome, Laura from CT and Andrea is from FL. Interning at Geary Institute is now 5,000 times better with them with me. Once we met eachother we went out on the town and that's a picture from that evening! yay.

Back to Wicklow...it's a smaller town about an hour south of Dublin--so still on the eastern part of the country. It was extremely beautiful, of course. This county was also where the movie "P.S. I love you" was filmed...so I was secretly looking for Gerry (or a guy that looked like Gerry) to bring back to Kelly. I won't get into details here, but long story short: The night before I left for Ireland we hung out and I made her watch this movie. She hated it, but the only part she liked was the main guy in the movie Gerry, who was a looker. Since I made her sit through the corni-ness like whoa of the movie
James Joyce's last time in IrelandJames Joyce's last time in IrelandJames Joyce's last time in Ireland

Before JJ went all over Europe to live and work; he was last here.
I promised her a guy like Gerry for her birthday. So, this entry is dedicated to Ms. Gregg.

We first stopped at Sandy Cove which is this little swimming area right on the Irish Sea just slightly south of the city. We got out to look around and we mostly just found a plethora of overweight old men in speedos playing around the sea. It wasn't the prettiest or most comfortable atmosphere for that reason but then again I was actually intruding on their fun. This was also a cool place because this was the last place James Joyce ever was in Dublin before moving to Paris and other cities in Europe for the remainder of his life. Being the nerd that I am I think it's cool.

We went to guinness lake next, which was this beautiful lookout over lush green rolling hills. I know this lake was named after the guinness family, which at one time apparently employed about 1/4 of the residents of Dublin during the 19th century. It also was dark colored, which reminded people of the beer. Another interesting fact that our tour guide told us: women for about 150 years or more after guinness was being made were told to drink as much guinness as possible while pregnant. It could explain why so many Irish had drinking problems. The beer was considered healthy because it was so rich in Iron.

The views here were breathtaking. The group got out to look around for a bit and take in the grandure, so to speak. The only thing I would have changed about this tour would be the amount of time we spent at guinness lake, it would have been way cool to walk around for awhile and hang out, but we only stayed for a short time before we moved on to the next thing. Then we all took a shot of Jameson Whiskey provided by the tour guide...and appropriately said "Slainte!" which means cheers in gaelic.

Our final stop was Glendalough Monastery. It was a place for "refuge" for all walks of life in a time when the celts were warring with whomever and the land was wild. Obviously the main people who lived there though were learning to become more and more holy, writing scriptures, and doing whatever else monks did to seek spiritual fulfillment. Walking around this place was beautiful...there were two lakes and it was very peaceful. They also had great stone walls that blocked out the world basically to keep the monastery serene. There was also an abundance of very old graves, which was haunting yet interesting. I looked at a lot of them to try and make out dates and many were dated back to the early 1700's....


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

I'm AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!!I'm AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!!
I'm AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!!

Well, not really, but ok sort of.
Glendalough Monastery Glendalough Monastery
Glendalough Monastery

Monastery in Wicklow. Considered a place of refuge, that's why all the graves. Which dated back to the early 1700's.


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb