Five days on the Kelly’s farm: Baby sheep, cows, wood fireplaces, and a million stars at night.


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Tipperary » Tipperary
April 15th 2012
Published: April 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well Part One of Global Sorority has come to an end in Tipperary County. As of tomorrow would have taken nine flights, six very long car drives, 2 botabota's at night, one of which we were stopped by police at a road block, and a few long walks across dirt roads and farmlands in 21 days.



Tia and I have finished our trip on her family’s organic farm. The weather has been a bit chilly with beautiful sun and sporadic clouds and showers. It’s such a great experience being on a farm and I wish I was able to experience a little more but it’s time to go home. At first it seemed a little odd for me to come this far not to experience all of Ireland or at least a little more but what I did get from the surrounding area in the last few days has been good. This trip also included my friend and old roommate from Toronto, Monique, driving up from Dungarven to come and see me for an afternoon. She took me to the Mitchellstown Caves, which were pretty unreal and then an Irish pub for lunch and a walk around Cahir.



We’ve connected with a few Irish girls and women 13-31 years of age (and a 4 year old who wants to be a singer and a “vegetable farmer and grows vegetables” provided some coaching, listened to their stories, and were inspired. We’ve also looked through over 20 hours of footage, had a few glitches in computer software stuff (which we are hoping will not impact too much of our footage). Filming on a shoestring has been an interesting experience to say the least but thanks to Tia’s quick thinking, creativity, and organization and some out of the box thinking I’m pretty sure we’ve got some great footage to put together to send to Emily and Steve in Toronto in the next month.



Currently the Kelly kitchen is filled with women making encaustic painting using Tia’s photos from yesterday. Electricity and temperature of the waxes have been challenging so we’ve resorted to using the wood burning stovetop. They made some beautiful art. We are going to be doing some art with everyone involved in the filming of our project.



This whole trip has been a world wind of experiences; challenging yet very rewarding. It has really opened my eyes again to what really matters in life vs what we often thinks matters. Most importantly it has reminded me about the power of listening, speaking up, integrity, and authenticity as well as some other things that I talk about in the documentary. What’s really amazing how people who did not know us, who had only heard of what we were doing in their town, opened their minds, hearts, and homes to us.



Tia and I are both extremely grateful to all our backers on this project; to those who gave financially, those who have provided us with “in-kind support” and those who provided us with morale support.



We are excited to move forward on this project an are thinking somewhere in South East Asia will be our next stop in about six months time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

p5p5
p5

You cant go to Ireland without having a Guiness
Morning FeedMorning Feed
Morning Feed

These little guys lost their momma a week after they were born so they were bottle fed until two days ago
Farm dogFarm dog
Farm dog

This little girl has quite the personality
FriendsFriends
Friends

They actually play together


Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb