Dublin to Sligo


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Sligo » Sligo
June 29th 2011
Published: July 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Dublin to Sligo



We left Dublin, driving towards Boyle Abbey – a monastery founded in the 12th century by the local ruling family ‘The MacDermotts’. Although currently in ruins, it is being restored using interesting engineering techniques such as stone numbering to ensure each particular stone that comprises the Abbey is returned to its original position.
The lush green Irish countryside rolled on and on, and we came across Tobernalt Holy Well where legend has it that Saint Patrick used this sacred area to bring the Christian God to a pagan people.
We drove along the coastline near Mullaghmore Castle and stopped at Sligo for the evening.
As we were planning to cross the border into Northern Ireland, we made sure we had pounds handy rather than Euro’s which is the currency of Southern Ireland. Following the western coast of Ireland along the edge of Donegal, we made it into Belleek of North Ireland where we visited a busy little Pottery Centre. On the tour we were shown how the fine detail is achieved with production of pottery moulds, baskets, vases, and intricate hand-made flower patterns for original pieces of art.
From Belleek we continued to Enniskillen for lunch, then back to the hotel in Sligo for an evening at the sauna and spa with a few friends.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb