Greetings from Dracula's Castle


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Sligo » Coolaney
July 12th 2011
Published: July 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dracula 2Dracula 2Dracula 2

I did love the sky tonight
I am writing this from beside the fireplace in the Common Room of Dracula's Castle, listing to tourists from Wisconsin talk about ghost encounters on the Castle grounds. It's the only place in the entire building that there is an internet connection.

Okay, it's actually Markree Castle - but I swear if I didn't know any better, I would think it's Dracula's Castle. Even the man currently working the reception area is from Romania... I'm a chicken, so I'm not sure how well I am going to sleep tonight - I also think I'm 100% ready to come home.

Anyway, just a few highlights of the past couple days and some photos, since I haven't had an opportunity to update recently.

July 10th:

- Took a car ferry over the River Shannon
- Visited the Cliffs of Moher (basically a 700 foot straight cliffside drop right into the Atlantic ocean) Best part of the Cliffs was when we went past the no trespassing sign, and went off roading up the side of the cliff without a safety fence. I love the attitude in Ireland - if you do something stupid, it's your own fault!
- Checked in at Glenlo Abbey Hotel - a 5 star hotel and golf resort. There was a cookie fairy that kept leaving fresh, homemade cookies in our room! We also had dinner in the Pullman Car restaurant, very fancy.

July 11th:

- Took a 7 minute plane ride to the Aran Islands (for those of you who have said in the past that I've booked trips on flying sardine cans - this one took the cake!).
- Toured the island, and cilmbed up the side of Dun Aongus. Dun Aongus is a 3,000 year old stone fort and has a 300 foot drop into the Atlantic. The best part of this was that we arrived on the island so early, we were the only people on Dun Aongus at the time. It felt as though we were alone on the edge of the world. Also, got an authentic Aran Islands sweater and hung out with the woman who knitted it!
- I'm sad I didn't get a picture of this - but people on the Aran island actually had mini houses on their properties for "the wee folk." As the tour guide put it, "The wee folk are the ones who didn't drink their Guiness. Of course, the only way you're going to see them is if you drink too much Guiness."

July 12th (kind of a bust day):

- Toured the grounds of Ashford Castle (ie, the non haunted, non vampire ridden Castle)
- We went to Foxford Woollen Mills and toured the factory and store
- Went to Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetary and looked at the Dolmens
- Checked in at Scary Castle, had an awesome dinner, and hoping I'm going to sleep tonight. No promises.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Aran 1Aran 1
Aran 1

Islander aircraft - held 10 people!
Walled Garden Walled Garden
Walled Garden

At Ashford Castle
CarrowmoreCarrowmore
Carrowmore

Dolmen from Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetary
Moher 4Moher 4
Moher 4

The No Trespassing Sign we totally ignored
Aran 2Aran 2
Aran 2

Dun Aongus
Dracula 1Dracula 1
Dracula 1

It's creepier than it looks...


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb