County Meath


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Meath » Trim
May 8th 2011
Published: May 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello again
Another fab day in Ireland. We went for a walk from the country Thatch House up a side road for about 6-7 kms this morning. It was a definite wake up as it was only about 12 degrees but we are on a large hill and the wind chill must have been close to 0 degrees.
We then decided to take in all the local sites,castles and ruins in County Meath.
We started at a town called Navan and had the proper sunday roast lunch at one of the local pubs there with all the locals after they had been to church. The meals are enormous and it is like sitting down to the equivalent of our hot Christmas Day dinners or like the old days for those that remember how special Sunday lunches once were. Chris is still in his element as once again he got 3 scoop of mash plus roast potatoes plus my share (I amstill not a fan of their stable diet). Chris did get very excited in a local general store here in Slane where he could buy a 20 Kilo bag of potatoes and Guinness at the same time. mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Next stop was the city of Trim. It has the most Castles of old still standing from the past. It truly is mind blowing as these were erected in the Anglo-Norman times around 1173. It really is a very pretty town but to date nothing is as pretty as Rathkenny and the rolling plains where we are.

The next stop was the city of Kells. Kells is an Irish heritage town known for their Celtic Christianity. Also similar to the other towns they all sit on the Boyne River and played a big part in protecting their country with their large towers from high points back in the Anglo-Norman days. The also have an extremely large percentage of people who speak Gaelic so we chose not to speak to many people as we cannot understand the Irish accent little lone the Gaelic.

We finished our day at the local pub (5 kms away) with a refreshing ale. Chris' poison is Guinness(for those who dont know) and I have gone back 25 years in time to when I lived in the UK and found my love again for Bulmers Irish Cider.

Chris is now outside chopping wood for the fire to warm the house and we will prob finish with another ale.
It does not get dark here till about 9-9.30pm which is a little strange but you can be sure that we are hitting the bed early tonight as Chris is like a little boy on Christmas Eve as we are going to the Guinness Factory (Gods Factory) tomorrow in Dublin.
@ Sean again we will be sure to be sure to hit the Palace Bar. Also love and kisses to Clodagh and Ciara for their birthdays
Love to all and will blog tomorrow. You might see some photos soon as Chris the nerd found a computer program to maybe upload while we are in the sticks.
xxxxxxx Cath and Chris


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



9th May 2011

Enjoy!
Hi Chris and Cath, Pleased to see and hear your having a good time. I'll check back in a couple of days and see what else you have been up to. I won't bore with work, however we have two days of interviews starting tomorrow! Enjoy your holidays and travel safe. Lyndon and Family.
9th May 2011

dearly departed
please think of me when you are paying respects to the guiness factory..

Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb