A holy place in ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Mayo
March 19th 2008
Published: April 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last weekend, I joined my Irish friends to visit the western part of the Republic of Ireland. We stayed overnight in Ballymote and visited Ballina, Inniscrone, and the place called Knock. I dont have any idea about this small town in County Mayo. Even my Irish friends did not bother to tell me prior to the visit, until we reached the place - the Knock Shrine. As I stepped out from the car, my friends started to explain the significance of the place for the Irish Catholic community, or even for Christians around the world! Why? Because the apparation of our Virgin Mary, St Joseph and St John (the Evangelist) appeared in the gable of the church way back in August 1879.

It is a timely visit in preparation for the Holy Week. We did not stay long in the Shrine, but I had the chance to pray and asked His blessings and forgiveness, had a communion in the small chapel, and took photographs of the entire place, including the popular ”golden rose” presented by the late Pope Paul II when he visited Ireland in 1979.

Indeed, a holy place for people who believe in His presence. Im quite privilege to be a guest - time to reflect His undying love to us. Surprisingly, holy water is everywhere and my first time to drink it! Details for the pilgrimage, visit the homepage of the Shrine at: Pigrims Guide. There are available camping and caravan facilities near the Shrine, including transport (both land and air) to reach the town.

This journal was first posted at: My World is getting smaller every day



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Some photos are posted here!Some photos are posted here!
Some photos are posted here!

[url=http://www.trivago.co.uk/ireland-31465/digital_explorer-11883m/]Please "CLICK" here for the link of DigitalExplorer Photos in Ireland[/url]


Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb