Total Irish Immersion


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Mayo » Swinford
June 13th 2011
Published: June 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Monday June 13th, 2011

Killasser, Swinford, County Mayo, Ireland

We have started a completely new way of travel. We are totally immersed in Irish culture, living on an organic farmstead in rural County Mayo, Ireland. We are woofers ( www.wwoof.ie )and loving it. We are staying with a couple in their home and helping out with the garden and improvements around the house. This morning it was raining, so Dave (one of the owners) decided that we would repaint the living room. It is lunch time now and Jane just made me a tuna fish sandwich. Finnula, the wife and other owner, is gone to work and Dave has gone off on an appointment. Dave is retired from the British Air Force and does some volunteer work for a local support organization that helps older veterans in the community. Finnula works for the Irish government as a speech therapist at a local clinic. They provide us free room and board and we do odd jobs around the place. It has been actually very easy and fun so far, with a lot of talking and fun stories over dinner and breakfast. Jane and I have done so much home remodeling that we don’t even have to think about what is needed and they have been very happy to just let us work on our own. We joined the organization, created a profile about ourselves, and posted our availability to several hosts that we had picked out from the list of available hosts in their area (we wanted to be in this part of Ireland). We sent out about ten inquiries and had several offers by the next day. We will stay here a couple of weeks and then go to another host to help them out. It is a great way to see exactly how the local people live and become totally immersed in Irish Culture. Also over the next 5 weeks until we get back on the cruise ship it is a great way to stretch the travel budget. Well, I need to get back to work and I will keep you updated about our experiences as woofers. Check out the website, there are also other woofer organizations all over the world you can search if you are interested. It is a great way to meet interesting people and travel very cheaply.


Advertisement



13th June 2011

question
sounds like you're having a great trip! I'll be traveling to Ireland in a few months, and i was wondering what kind of ireland plug adapter I will need. I want to make sure I'm able to use my electronics while I'm there. Thanks!
14th June 2011

Ireland
Great work guys. What an interesting way to spend some of your time!! Great initiative!! You will sure get to know how the other half lives this way. Keep well. George & Venitia.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb