Knocktopher Abbey


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kilkenny
March 14th 2010
Published: March 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sunday 14.3.2010 day 151
Knocktopher Abbey
Today we went for a look around our home for the week Knocktopher Abbey. The Abbey was started by Earl of Ormond for the Carmelite order of Friars in 1356. The Friars were expelled in Cromwell’s wake in 1654. It then became a Convent until 1737. The Langrishe Baronetcy of Knocktopher abbey in the county of Kilkenny is title in the Baronetage of Ireland. It was created on the 19th of February 1777 for Hercules Langrishe, who represented Knocktopher in the Irish House of Commons.
The Abbey has fantastic gardens. We also walked in to the town on Knocktopher. That afternoon we drove to Kilkenny wanting to go to the Kilkenny castle but as it was mother’s day there were so many people we decided to go another day. We drove on to Thomastown a walled town founded in the 13th century and was destroyed by Cromwell in 1650. We went to Jerpoint Abbey on the outside of town. We then drove on to the village of Inistioge and then to the Village Kells on the Kings River we went to the ruins of the Augustinian Priory founded in 1193 it was very big and in the middle of a sheep field.
We played a game of Billiards and then went to the welcome talk and free drinks were they told us all about the Abby and the South East area of Ireland. We meet a couple from Wales and we had a few drinks with them before going back to our place and cooking dinner.



Additional photos below
Photos: 97, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.441s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 14; qc: 74; dbt: 0.2184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb