From Dingle to Ballinasloe via the scenic route


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Dingle
June 11th 2012
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

DingleDingleDingle

Dingle from the south end of the Conner Pass
June 11 – Over the Conner Pass and back to Ballinasloe – Today I took the scenic route back to Ballinasloe via The Conner Pass, the ferry from Tarbert to Killimer, and Killrush, Killkee, Doonbeg, Spanish Point, Lahinch , Hag’s Head, the Cliffs of Moher, and the Burren. It was quite a days drive and very scenic. I was disappointed a bit in The Cliffs of Moher though as they have now set up stone barricades to keep people away from the edges, but it also keeps you from being able to appreciate just how high they are as you can only see the bottom of them in the distance. It appears to be all about money now as all parking is blocked now except the 6 Euro (per Person !!) parking lot where you MUST park but you are charged 6 Euros per person because they are gouging by including the visit to the visitors center “Visitors Experience” as well whether you attend the stupid movie or not. Frankly if I wanted to watch a stupid movie I could do it at home and not have to travel thousands of miles and spend thousands of dollars to do so. I asked if a person could just pay for parking if they just wanted to visit the cliffs but NO, if there is more than one person in the vehicle you pay per person 6 Euro’s whether you go to the stupid show or not.

So for 4 people that’s 24 Euros !! Just a plain rip off. And it wouldn’t be so bad if you could actually go up to the edge of the cliffs to look down as you used to be able to do but now you can’t even do that. It’s just a plain money monger layout and lawyers saying people will fall off the cliffs rip off. I have been on the edge of dozens of cliffs on this trip and haven’t fallen off once. If people are stupid enough to fall off the cliffs then that is just nature getting rid of stupid people. There are plenty of stupid people in the world …..we can spare a few. More people are probably killed by walking out in front of cars and looking left instead of right anyway in this country instead of falling off cliffs. I suggest to whomever is reading this to just go to the Aran Islands and Dun Aengus instead. Much more bang for the buck. BTW visiting O’Brian’s tower is another 2 Euros…..but you can visit the ground floor gift shop free……..how nice.

After my disappointment at how the Cliffs of Moher had been ruined I continued up through the burren and via Loughrea back to Ballinasloe. It had been a good but tiring day and I pretty much just ate my dinner and went to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.567s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 77; dbt: 0.236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb