Claims to fame


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Dingle Peninsula
October 13th 2006
Published: October 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Just to clarify, we are in the Republic of Ireland (in the south) and not Ireland (the north).
To get you more familiar with the country we are exploring, here are some of its claims to fame:

U2 (Bloody Sunday has new meaning)
Gaelic Language
Tristan and Isolde movie
Guinness
Far and Away movie
Celtic crosses (a mix between the early Christian missionaries crosses and the native Celtic circles)
Potatoes (and the multiple devastating potato famines)
St. Patrick (the superstar missionary credited with converting all of Ireland)
3 leaf clovers-used by St Patrick to explain the Holy Trinity
Johnathan "Babyeater" Swift who wrote the satire "A Modest Proposal"
Oscar Wilde
The Book of Kells (illuminated biblical manuscript made painstakingly by the early monks)
The Cranberries (not the edible fruit; the band)


Advertisement



13th October 2006

Bloody Sunday and Puffins
When you go to the North go to Derry (or Londonderry--depending on who you ask) It is where bloody sunday actually happened. You can get an Ulsterbus there from Belfast. There might even be a red bus tour you can catch from the Holiday Inn in Belfast (I have seen it there on a sunday morning alot) but it is probably more expensive. You know, they do believe that the book of Kells was written at the Island of Iona--sorry that the weather was so bad there. If it makes you feel better the weather was bad for me there too. The rain pierces you. Did you see any Puffins? They are crazy about them there!

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb